1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Long Division and Remainder Theorem

1. Sep 14, 2016 #1
    NO TEMPLATE BECAUSE MOVED FROM ANOTHER FORUM

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out how it works for complicated problems, I know how to use long division, but I'm not understanding how this process is done for a problem like I have.

Instructions: Write the function in the form ƒ(x) = (x - k)q(x) + r for the given value of k, and demonstrate that ƒ(k) = r

Problem: ƒ(x) = -4x³ + 6x² + 4,
    k = 1 - √3 <--- when plugging in q in divisor, signs change as you can see in my picture.​

My Work:
    So as you can see from my first attached file, I knew that if I wanted to cancel out 4x³ in the dividend, I would multiply 4x³ on top (quotient) with -1 (divisor). But I also now have to multiply 4x³ with √3. I don't know how to answer it? That's where my question mark is.

In my second attachment, you can see I put what I think is right. Then I drop down the 6x² because that's what you do in long division. So the 4x³ cancels out, but then I have two different degrees in the next part. I don't think I can do anything with that.

Another thing is that you've probably read the "Remainder Theorem in the question, I've already done that here so that's fine. I get a remainder of 0. This is the remainder I should get when I long divide.

Remainder Theorem
    ƒ(1 - √3) = -4(1 - √3)³ + 6(1 - √3)² + 12(1 - √3) + 4
    Solve: equals 0, so remainder is 0.

Then, for the answer, it's asking to put into form of, ƒ(x) = (x - k)q(x) + r. I already have (x - k) which is the (-1 + √3), I would multiply that with q(x), which is what I'm stuck on for getting the quotient in long division. Lastly, I would add the remainder (r) which there is none.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2016 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A screen shot of your 2nd division attempt:
    upload_2016-9-14_21-30-23.png

You need to divide by x - k, which in this case is ##\ x-1+\sqrt{3\,}\ .\ ## You left out the ##\ x\ .##

4. Sep 15, 2016 #3
    I think I know what you're saying but here is what I have so far.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 15, 2016 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

upload_2016-9-15_11-29-3.png
    You have unbalanced parentheses and an x2 in the wrong place, or an extra x2.
    upload_2016-9-15_11-29-53.png
    I suggest you leave the coefficient of x2 intact, that is to say, write the above line as:

##\ -(-4x^3+(4-4\sqrt{3\,})x^2)\ ##

With long division, keeping track of all those signs gets to be a pain. Do you know synthetic division ?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  6. Sep 15, 2016 #5
    Haha, it's funny how you mention synthetic division just now. I asked my professor today where I left off with you and he said to use synthetic division. Hey, thank you very much for your help, I do appreciate it, it helped me understand more.

Attached Files:

7. Sep 15, 2016 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome, and thanks for posting your final result. I'll display the final image below:
    img_0045-jpg.106002.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted