A wave speed of a hanging chain

In summary, the chain of linear mass density hangs from a ceiling and a wave moving vertically along its length is attached to the chain. The wave's propagation speed is not constant, due to the effect of gravity. The amount of time it takes the wave to move along the full length is given by: t=2\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}.
Gravitino22

Homework Statement

Problem 5 from: http://www.swccd.edu/~jveal/phys274/images/hw01.pdf in case you don't understand my text.

A chain of linear mass density u, and length L is hang-
ing from a ceiling. There is a wave moving vertically
along its length. a) Is the propagation speed constant?
(Justify your answer.) b) Show that the amount of
time it takes the wave to move along the full length is
given by

t=2[tex]\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

String waves speed: [tex]\frac{u}{T}[/tex][tex]\frac{\delta ^{2}y}{\delta t^{2}}[/tex]= [tex]\frac{\delta ^{2}y}{\delta x^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive spent 2 hours trying to use the forumula for a string waves speed but I really don't understand the concept of solving the partial differential equations.

I know that the propagation speed is not constant because of gravity but i don't know how to apply that to the formula.

btw used delta for partial derivatives.

Thanks a lot :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Make use of the results of problem 2.

Yes, I've tried that approach but i think the awnser lies in the differential equation that i posted which is where the velocity of the wave in a string is derived from. Unless iam overcomplicating myself and iam not seeing something.

Because i know that T=uLg and the time would be L/v but i still don't see where i would get a 2 from plugging that stuff in.

Gravitino22 said:
Yes, I've tried that approach but i think the awnser lies in the differential equation that i posted which is where the velocity of the wave in a string is derived from. Unless iam overcomplicating myself and iam not seeing something.
Show what you've tried.

Because i know that T=uLg and the time would be L/v but i still don't see where i would get a 2 from plugging that stuff in.
Careful. The tension--and thus the speed--varies along the chain. So neither of those two expressions are correct.

Try this. Write the tension as a function of distance (x) from the bottom. Then set up and solve a simple differential equation, realizing that v = dx/dt.

Ahhhh i finally got it. THANKS ALOT. My problem was that i didnt understand the concept well enough to understand that tension varies with the speed. Was easier than i thought.

1. What factors affect the wave speed of a hanging chain?

The wave speed of a hanging chain is primarily affected by the tension in the chain and the length of the chain. The more tension in the chain, the faster the wave speed will be. Additionally, longer chains have a lower wave speed compared to shorter chains.

2. How do you calculate the wave speed of a hanging chain?

The wave speed of a hanging chain can be calculated using the formula v = √(T/μ), where v is the wave speed, T is the tension in the chain, and μ is the mass per unit length of the chain. This formula assumes a uniform chain with negligible weight and no air resistance.

3. Does the material of the chain affect its wave speed?

Yes, the material of the chain can affect its wave speed. Different materials have different densities and tensions, which can impact the wave speed. For example, a steel chain will have a higher wave speed compared to a rubber chain due to its higher tension and density.

4. Can the wave speed of a hanging chain be changed?

Yes, the wave speed of a hanging chain can be changed by altering the tension or length of the chain. Increasing tension or decreasing length will result in a higher wave speed, while decreasing tension or increasing length will result in a lower wave speed.

5. Is the wave speed of a hanging chain affected by gravity?

Yes, the wave speed of a hanging chain is affected by gravity. The greater the gravitational force, the faster the wave speed will be. This is because gravity increases the tension in the chain, resulting in a higher wave speed.