1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About M.S in AEROSPACE ENGINEERING which grad school

1. Dec 18, 2007 #1
    hey, i m a international student i was in a puzzle about going to erau / sdsu/ iit,chicago etc... till now i have acceptance from these and some scholarship and waiting from some schools to tell .
    please help decide which will be better grad school for aerospace engineering
    embry riddle
    sdsu
    iit
    iowa state uni
    u of minnesota
    etc...
    please help soon

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2007 #2
    I cant read half of what you wrote. I dont know what iit is, sdsu is, erau is, and what is etc...?

4. Dec 18, 2007 #3
    man
    it is sandiego state university,
    erau is for embry riddle
    iit is for illinois institute of tech
    etc..

5. Dec 18, 2007 #4
    Any of them paying you?

6. Dec 18, 2007 #5
    yes
    erau is paying 40 % schlorship i.e $8000 againist the total fees there is $20000
    hence efective fees is 12000 a year plus boarding etcc separate
    and iit
    they have given me admission but stii waiting for schlorship from them it is under process currently

7. Dec 18, 2007 #6
    Ouch. Honestly, I would not go to grad school if I had to pay out of pocket. Thats just me. I would reapply and have my work pay for my education, or get a full ride.

Paying 12k a year for grad school is a bit absurd.

8. Dec 18, 2007 #7
    so if in future i got selected to NCSU or IIT , CHicago with 50 to 100 % schlorship should go there then or not . else i dont think i have a good option with a Quant on GRE is 800 but on VERBALL i have 400 makes it a total 1200 which i suppose might help .
    please help me to jolt down to at least two for my good future

9. Dec 18, 2007 #8
    Everyones situation is different. I cant tell you whats best for you, you will have to decide that for yourself. Im sure one school stands out above the rest on your list academically, but thats necessarily the best school for you. If you get into the top school with no funding, are you willing to dump over $40k in two years?

Personally, Im not. I made my mind up that I would not pay a dime for grad school. If I was going to go, the school would have to give me a full ride and pay me, or my work would have to pay me a salary and pay for my school. Either way, I am not paying for grad school. If that limits my choice in grad school, so be it. I dont need debt up to my ears when I can get a MS for free.

10. Dec 18, 2007 #9
    thax for great suggest man

11. Dec 18, 2007 #10
    Keep in mind, if you do an MS and work, it will take you longer. But in the mean time you are going to be making $55k a year, plus getting a free MS degree. Your other option is doing an MS in 2 years and owing $20-30k. I like option number 1.

12. Dec 18, 2007 #11
    To quote a line from my uni's AA department: keep in mind that a degree from a US institution will not generally be of help in obtaining employment in the US Aerospace industry.

We're a bunch of semi-paranoid nutjobs lately, or something.

Grad school is already often questionable as to whether you can break even in the long run, i.e. increased earning potential vs. years spent earning nothing or accruing additional debt. Unless the program is seriously inferior, I would pick among the places that will pay for all your costs or at least leave you with the least debt.

13. Dec 19, 2007 #12
    hi, pals
    i am interested from u guys to please let me know where to apply for this program in order to get good schlorship so that i wont be in any debt plus
    i want from u guys to suggest me a university which can offer me good program and a nice schlorship in this course as i have a GRE score of quant 800 and verbal 400 with a total of 1200
    please help guys

14. Dec 19, 2007 #13
    I keep hearing that they don't care as much about the verbal score. You may need to take a TOEFL test (English as a foreign language).

I know PhD candidates usually end up with a teaching assistantship or something like that to deal with their costs of education, but I'm not sure how this works for Masters-only candidates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?