About radioactive emission by Jupiter

In summary, Jupiter emits lethal amounts of radioactivity. It does this because of the radiation belts that surround the planet. These belts rotate along with the planet. If you are close to Jupiter, the radiation level will be greater than if you were sitting on one of the moons. There is no clear safe zone, but staying away from the belts is advised.
  • #1
MonkeyKid
25
0
Sorry about my poor English.

I heard Jupiter emits lethal amounts of radioactivity (I don't know what kind). I also read things that suggested that there are areas where this radioactivity is more intense than on other areas.

I wanted to know a few things:
a) why does Jupiter emits so much radiation?
b) what is the nature of that radiation?
c) where are the areas where the radiation level is stronger?
d) as Jupiter rotates, does the radioactively intense areas rotate with it? Or are they stationary in relation to Jupiter's center?
e) If you are close to Jupiter itself, let's say, just a few kilometers above it's atmosphere, the amount of radiation that will hit you will be greater than the amount that would hit you if you were sitting at one of the many Jupiter's moons? Or would it be less? Or the same?
f) Is there any place near Jupiter where the crew of manned ship would be safe from the planet's radiatioactive emission?

A few other questions may arise once those are answered. Thanks a lot to anyone who is patient enough to read and answer this question.
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
  • #3
MonkeyKid said:
Sorry about my poor English.

I heard Jupiter emits lethal amounts of radioactivity (I don't know what kind). I also read things that suggested that there are areas where this radioactivity is more intense than on other areas.

I wanted to know a few things:
a) why does Jupiter emits so much radiation?
b) what is the nature of that radiation?
c) where are the areas where the radiation level is stronger?
d) as Jupiter rotates, does the radioactively intense areas rotate with it? Or are they stationary in relation to Jupiter's center?
e) If you are close to Jupiter itself, let's say, just a few kilometers above it's atmosphere, the amount of radiation that will hit you will be greater than the amount that would hit you if you were sitting at one of the many Jupiter's moons? Or would it be less? Or the same?
f) Is there any place near Jupiter where the crew of manned ship would be safe from the planet's radiatioactive emission?

A few other questions may arise once those are answered. Thanks a lot to anyone who is patient enough to read and answer this question.
Jupiter reflects light and has strong radio emissions. The radiation to which one refers seems to be a reference to the magnetosphere and radiation belts surrounding Jupiter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetosphere_of_Jupiter
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2001/belts.html

http://www.astrobio.net/exclusive/3010/hiding-from-jupiters-radiation

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v415/n6875/full/415987a.html
 
  • #4
From what I could understand, Jupiter has 2 three-dimensional shapes enveloping it called the radiation belts. They rotate along with the planet. They are formed by high energy particles collected from a constant flow of gases from Io and from the solar winds, and they are collected and highly energized by Jupiter's magetosphere.

It is also said that Jupiter emits radiation in the form of radio waves, but those are safe to humans, right? Although I think they could cause problems to electronics.

So that huge magnetosphere is harmless, except for the radiation belts? Meaning, as long as you are not inside those regions, you are safe from radiation.

A few moons are constantly inside the radiation belts, including Europa, which the cientists believe may have alien life in it's underground ocean.

Please, did I understand everything correctly?
 
Last edited:
  • #5
MonkeyKid said:
From what I could understand, Jupiter has 2 three-dimensional shapes enveloping it called the radiation belts. They rotate along with the planet. They are formed by high energy particles collected from a constant flow of gases from Io and from the solar winds, and they are collected and highly energized by Jupiter's magnetosphere.

These are similar to the Earth's Van Allen radiation belts


It is also said that Jupiter emits radiation in the form of radio waves, but those are safe to humans, right? Although I think they could cause problems to electronics.

Jupiter has significant bursts of radio noise centred ~ the 20 to 23 MHz area detecting it is a good amateur radio astronomy project ... I did that many years ago
no problems to electronics

So that huge magnetosphere is harmless, except for the radiation belts? Meaning, as long as you are not inside those regions, you are safe from radiation.


The radiation belts may be harmful to humans or equip in close range of the belts ...
in a brief www search, I didn't see anything specific. Didn't have time to search too deep.
You can do that :)

cheers
Dave
 
  • #6
davenn said:
The radiation belts may be harmful to humans or equip in close range of the belts ...
in a brief www search, I didn't see anything specific. Didn't have time to search too deep.
You can do that :)

cheers
Dave

Thank you Dave.

I didn't have the need to google that info because the articles people linked were pretty informative and interesting. I just wanted to confirm if I did understand everything from the articles right. Also, there's nothing on the articles about any hazards inside the magnetosphere, except for two areas known as the radiation belts. I was just verifying if I could assume the magnetosphere presented no hazards outside the radiation belts, because the magnetosphere is a lot bigger than just the radiation belts, it's tail extends all the way to the orbit of saturn! And the Sun along with it's visible corona could fit inside it with room to spare! I'm really amazed but this thing :)
 

Related to About radioactive emission by Jupiter

1. How does Jupiter emit radiation?

Jupiter emits radiation through a process called electromagnetic radiation. This occurs when charged particles in Jupiter's atmosphere are accelerated, causing them to release energy in the form of electromagnetic waves.

2. Is the radiation emitted by Jupiter harmful?

Yes, the radiation emitted by Jupiter can be harmful to humans and other living organisms. It is made up of high-energy particles and can cause damage to cells and DNA.

3. What is the source of Jupiter's radiation?

The source of Jupiter's radiation is its strong magnetic field. This field is generated by the planet's rapid rotation and its large, iron-rich core.

4. Can spacecrafts survive the radiation emitted by Jupiter?

Yes, spacecrafts can survive the radiation emitted by Jupiter by taking precautionary measures such as using shielding materials and avoiding prolonged exposure to high levels of radiation.

5. How does Jupiter's radiation affect its moons?

Jupiter's radiation can have a significant impact on its moons, especially those that are in close proximity to the planet. The radiation can cause changes in the surface and atmosphere of these moons and can also affect their potential habitability.

Similar threads

Replies
8
Views
3K
  • High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Quantum Physics
Replies
15
Views
2K
  • Special and General Relativity
4
Replies
128
Views
3K
  • Other Physics Topics
Replies
16
Views
4K
Replies
19
Views
4K
  • Quantum Physics
2
Replies
38
Views
3K
Replies
29
Views
2K
  • High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
Replies
9
Views
2K
  • High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
Replies
3
Views
2K
Back
Top