About to finish my Master's and losing my resolve

• Thread starter tramar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Master's
In summary: It's far more likely that they had more submissions than speaking slots and had to make some hard decisions.In summary, the speaker is finishing their MSc physics degree with a B average and has been rejected by one PhD program due to concerns about their GPA. They have also been asked to do a poster presentation instead of an oral presentation at a conference, possibly due to a large number of submissions. The speaker fears that their B average will make it difficult to find a supervisor for their research, despite their success in their undergraduate and graduate theses. They are unsure if their grades reflect their research potential or if their decisions have led to their mediocre grades.
tramar
I'm finishing my MSc physics degree this year at a small university in Canada. It's been a tough road, and in my undergrad and graduate courses I've only been able to muster a B average. I applied to two PhD programs for the fall and so far have been rejected by one due to concerns about my GPA, and the other expressed similar concerns but let my file go through to potential supervisors and I have been unable to find one that is willing to take me on.

I also recently applied to a conference for an oral presentation and was asked to do a poster presentation instead, I assume because my abstract didn't make the cut.

It's very discouraging as I feel that I've done all of this work with nothing to show for it. I fear that because of my B average, no supervisor is going to be interested in taking me on when they have multiple applicants with better averages to choose from. It's even more frustrating because my marks don't even reflect my research potential. I did extremely well in my undergraduate thesis and will hopefully do the same for my MSc thesis. But it feels like because of my poor GPA, nobody cares.

Anyone else experienced something like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to ask yourself a tough question. Did you get mediocre grades because you are fundamentally incapable of doing A work? Or because you chose not to - or, perhaps more accurately, because you made decisions that led you to that outcome.

Until you know the answer to that question, I don't think you can make a realistic plan on what to do next.

I do want to point out that the odds are very small that the conference decided to place your contribution in the poster session because of your GPA.

What is a Master's degree?

A Master's degree is a graduate-level degree that typically requires 1-2 years of study beyond a Bachelor's degree. It is a more advanced level of education and often provides specialized knowledge and skills in a specific field.

Why am I losing my resolve?

Losing resolve is a common experience for students nearing the end of their Master's program. It can be caused by a variety of factors such as burnout, stress, and uncertainty about the future. It is important to take breaks, seek support from friends and family, and remind yourself of your goals to maintain your motivation.

What can I do to regain my resolve?

There are several things you can do to regain your resolve. One strategy is to break your tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks. This can help prevent feeling overwhelmed. Additionally, setting realistic goals and rewarding yourself for achieving them can also help boost your motivation. It may also be helpful to talk to a mentor or advisor for support and guidance.

What are some tips for successfully completing my Master's degree?

Some tips for successfully completing your Master's degree include staying organized, managing your time effectively, seeking support from peers and mentors, and taking care of your physical and mental well-being. It is also important to have a clear understanding of your program requirements and to communicate with your professors and advisors regularly.

What are my options after completing my Master's degree?

There are a variety of options available after completing a Master's degree. Some common paths include pursuing a doctoral degree, entering the workforce in a related field, or applying for internships or fellowships. It is important to research and consider your options to determine the best path for your career goals.