What type of genes do I have and how do I find out?

• Thread starter timeuser84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genes Type
In summary, this gene is rare and can cause some super human or freak-like traits in humans. There are several ways to find out if you have this gene or any of these genes, the most basic of which is to do a DNA test. If you don't have the gene, then you can still find out what genes you have by doing a DNA test or by doing a genetic disease scan.
timeuser84
Hi again. About over 5 years ago I was reading something on the net about a certain human gene that is unique and rare in humans called the freak gene, super human, or slow turtle gene. Is there another name for it and does this gene exist in humans? How do I find out if I have this gene or these genes? If i don't have that genes than how do i find out what genes and type of genes i have?

Biology news on Phys.org
timeuser84 said:
Hi again. About over 5 years ago I was reading something on the net about a certain human gene that is unique and rare in humans called the freak gene, super human, or slow turtle gene. Is there another name for it and does this gene exist in humans? How do I find out if I have this gene or these genes? If i don't have that genes than how do i find out what genes and type of genes i have?
That's nothing for us to go on unless we google, which presumably you've already done. But my guess is you heard this from unscientific sources, because those descriptions wouldn't make sense for describing real genes.

However, google tells me you can get your entire genome sequenced for about $1000 if you want.

Likes BillTre
There are several sites that provide basic DNA information. You supply some spit. And money.

Ancestry.com specializes in family and relatives and who (maybe where) they are, plus where you "came" from.

23andme.com specializes in genetic diseases, disorders, and family disease history, plus where you came from.

Last time I looked it cost USD $99.00

• Informative
Likes berkeman
timeuser84 said:

All humans have the same set of genes. What varies between humans is particular variants of genes called alleles. Inherticance of particular alleles of genes can cause inheritance of certain traits. For example, there are two alleles of the gene ABCC11 that help determine whether one has dry or wet earwax; if you inherit at least one copy of the first allele, you will have wet earwax, while if you inherit two copies of the second allele you will have dry earwax. In many cases, alleles are non-functional variants of a particular gene and inheriting two copies of the non-functional alleles leads to genetic diseases. One example of this are non-functional variants of the CFTR gene, which act as recessive alleles for the disease cystic fibrosis.

Most of the traits that we care about, however, are what are known as complex traits. These traits are influenced not just by what alleles one has of one particular gene, but instead depend on which alleles one inherits at a number of different genes. Examples of complex traits include height, eye color, and hair color.

Many traits also do not depend solely on genetics, and the environment plays important roles as well. Height is a good example where genetics does play an important role in determining an individual's height but so do other factors such as nutrition during childhood. In these cases, we can only say that inheriting certain alleles affects the likelihood of developing a certain trait, but it does not completely control that trait (e.g. inheriting certain alleles of the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes will increase the risk that an individual will develop breast cancer later in life, but not everyone with the alleles will develop breast cancer).

So, when you take a genetic test, scientists are looking at the particular variants present in your DNA. For most commercial DNA tests, these are mainly examining for variants that are commonly found in European populations. Finding rare variants requires either a specific test for that particular variant or sequencing the entire genome of the individual (which is more expensive and requires more expertise to interpret the results).

• Informative
Likes sysprog, russ_watters and berkeman
Thanks, much appreciated.

1. What is the importance of knowing what type of genes I have?

Knowing what type of genes you have can help you understand your risk for certain diseases, determine the best course of treatment for existing conditions, and make informed decisions about your lifestyle and health.

2. How do I find out what type of genes I have?

The most accurate way to find out what type of genes you have is through genetic testing, which involves analyzing your DNA for specific gene variants. This can be done through a variety of methods, including saliva or blood samples.

3. Can I determine my gene type just by looking at my physical traits?

No, physical traits are influenced by a combination of genes and environmental factors. While certain traits may be more common in certain gene types, it is not a reliable method for determining your specific gene type.

4. What factors can influence my gene type?

Gene type is determined by a combination of inherited genes from your parents and random mutations that occur during cell division. Environmental factors, such as diet, lifestyle, and exposure to toxins, can also influence gene expression.

5. Are there any risks or drawbacks to finding out my gene type?

While genetic testing can provide valuable information, it is important to consider potential risks and drawbacks. These may include privacy concerns, psychological impact of learning about potential health risks, and the possibility of receiving inconclusive or inaccurate results.