Absorbtion and Emission of Photons

In summary, when an electron absorbs a photon, it gains energy and moves to a higher energy level. Eventually, the electron will lose this energy by emitting photons and return to its ground state. This process can be repeated as the electron absorbs and emits photons. The energy levels in an atom are represented by negative values, indicating a deficit of energy that the electron needs to absorb in order to escape the atom. When the electron reaches the maximum energy level, it can escape the atom, known as the ionization energy. This process is explained by the discrete energy levels in an atom, which can be seen in the atom's emission spectra.
AznBoi
I'm somewhat confused about the emission of photons when electrons go down an energy level. What sentence could I use to help me comprehend this process? This is what I was thinking: When electrons absorb photons from electromagnetic radiation, the electrons have more energy and thus it moves to a higher energy level. After a while the electrons lose this energy and eventually returns to ground-state energy. Electrons lose this energy by emitting photons that correspond the the difference of the energy levels.

(I would like a better setence to replace my last sentence. Why do the electrons lose the photon energy? Does this mean that every time something loses energy (even humans?) they give off photons?? I know that everything has both a wave and particle nature. So does that mean we absorb photons and give them off too?

So basically, in order for an electron to emit photons or go down an energy level, it must have already absorbed a photon and its energy before? I don't get why the energy levels are negative (-eV). Is it because it is somewhat like a workfunction and how it acts like a deficit of energy that the electron needs to absorb in order to free itself from the atom? Does the electron free itself from the atom after it reaches over the maximum energy level (the one closest to zero)? Thanks for your help in adv.!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of questions and some misunderstandings in your submission. Where did you learn what you've stated ? It is customary to think of an atom ( or ion) as having a ladder of discrete ( positive) energy levels. When a photon is absorbed the energy of the atom will go up the ladder by an amount [tex]E=h\nu[/tex]. An atom that is not in its lowest energy level ( ground state) may emit a photon spontaneously, in which case the energy goes down by a discrete number of steps.

Have a look here
http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~soper/Light/atomspectra.html

Does the electron free itself from the atom after it reaches over the maximum energy level
At some energy level, the electron can escape. This is called the ionization energy of the atom.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can help clarify the process of absorption and emission of photons for you. When electrons absorb photons from electromagnetic radiation, they gain energy and move to a higher energy level. This is known as an excited state. However, this state is not stable and the electron will eventually return to its ground state, or lowest energy level. To do this, the electron releases the excess energy in the form of a photon, which corresponds to the difference in energy between the excited state and the ground state. This is known as emission.

So to answer your question, yes, every time something loses energy, it can emit photons. However, this process is more prominent in atoms and other particles, rather than in larger objects like humans.

Electrons do not necessarily need to have previously absorbed a photon in order to emit one. The energy levels of an atom are determined by its structure and the amount of energy required for an electron to move between levels. The negative values associated with energy levels are simply a convention used to represent the relative energy levels within an atom.

As for your question about the electron "freeing" itself from the atom, this is not exactly what happens. The electron simply returns to its ground state, which is a stable state within the atom. It is not necessary for the electron to reach the maximum energy level in order to return to its ground state.

I hope this helps clarify the process of absorption and emission of photons for you. Keep exploring and asking questions, as that is the foundation of scientific understanding.

What is the difference between absorption and emission of photons?

Absorption of photons is the process by which an atom or molecule absorbs energy in the form of a photon, causing an electron to move to a higher energy level. Emission of photons, on the other hand, is the release of energy in the form of a photon when an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one.

How are absorption and emission of photons related to the color of light?

The color of light is determined by the energy of the photons it contains. When an atom or molecule absorbs a photon, the energy of the photon is absorbed and the color of the light changes. When an electron moves to a higher energy level, it absorbs higher energy photons, resulting in a shift towards the blue end of the spectrum. When an electron moves to a lower energy level, it releases lower energy photons, resulting in a shift towards the red end of the spectrum.

What is the significance of the absorption and emission spectra?

The absorption and emission spectra provide information about the energy levels of atoms and molecules. Each element or molecule has a unique set of energy levels, resulting in a unique absorption and emission spectrum. By analyzing the spectra, scientists can identify the elements and molecules present in a sample and gain insight into their properties and behavior.

How does the environment affect absorption and emission of photons?

The environment can affect the absorption and emission of photons in several ways. For example, the temperature and pressure of the environment can affect the energy levels of atoms and molecules, resulting in differences in the absorption and emission spectra. Additionally, the presence of other molecules or particles in the environment can alter the behavior of photons, leading to changes in absorption and emission processes.

What are some practical applications of absorption and emission of photons?

The absorption and emission of photons have numerous practical applications. For example, in spectroscopy, the absorption and emission spectra are used to identify and analyze the composition of materials. In medicine, the absorption and emission of photons are utilized in techniques such as X-rays and MRI scans. In technology, light emitting diodes (LEDs) use the process of emission of photons to produce light. Additionally, solar panels use the absorption of photons to generate electricity.