1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra mathematica add on

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    hey,

I have this group I've been trying to generate using the GenerateGroupoidByRelations[] function but it keeps giving me an error,

G = GenerateGroupoidByRelations[{a, b}, {a^4 == e, b^4 == e, a ** b ** a ** b == e, a^3 ** b ** a^3 ** b == e}, SizeLimit -> 60]

gives

GenerateGroupoid::size: The size of the set generated thus far exceeds the current value of 25 given by the option SizeLimit. (The elements generated thus far are shown below.)

It outputs a list of elements after this, but it depends on what i set the sizelimit too, if i set it to a large number ,it will spit out hundreds, if set it to 60 it will spit out 60

This group only has 16 elements which I found after an hour of todd coxeter,

Does anyone know how I could get mathematica to generate this group?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know the answer, but I think mathematica isn't really good for such questions. I recommend that you look at GAP: http://www.gap-system.org/ Such questions can easily be solved there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook