1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Abstract Algebra] Field and Polynomial Root problem

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose a field F has n elements and [itex]F=(a_1,a_2,...,a_n)[/itex]. Show that the polynomial [itex]w(x)=(x-a_1)(x-a_2)...(x-a_n)+1_F[/itex] has no roots in F, where [itex]1_f[/itex] denotes the multiplicative identity in F.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Strategy: We have this polynomial:
    [itex]w(x)=(x-a_1)(x-a_2)...(x-a_n)+1_F[/itex]
    When we set it to 0 we see that the (x-a) terms need to equal -1 for w(x) to have a root.

But here's my problem.
    I was thinking of trying to use induction on this proof.
    But if n = 0, then we have x+1 = 0 and x = i^2 which is in a field, the complex field.
    That has a root.

But ok, let's say n = 1. Then we have x-a+1=0 in which case x = 3, a=4 would be a root.

Must I assume that there is more then n=1 elements?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The point is that you already know all possible values for ##x##. What happens if you try them all one by one?

4. Feb 20, 2016 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. We know all possible values of x? Sure, but couldn't that be from -infinity to +infinity? How does that help?
    There must be a deeper understanding to what you are alluding at, but my initial thoughts are that it is confusing. We know all possible values for x?

5. Feb 20, 2016 #4

fresh_42

You are looking for a root of ##w(x)##, i.e. an element ##a ∈ \mathbf{F}## such that ##w(a) = 0##.
    Why don't you try all possible ##a## and see what ##w(a)## will get you? There are only finitely many of them, nothing with infinity.

6. Feb 20, 2016 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Okay, I am starting to see where you are going with this.

w(x) = (x-a)+1 = 0

w(x)= (x-a1)(x-a2)+1 = 0
    [itex]x^2-x*a_2-x*a_1+a_1*a_2+1= 0[/itex]

Couldn't we have a1 = -1 and a2 = 1 and x = 0 ?

7. Feb 20, 2016 #6

fresh_42

I think you don't see the forest for all the trees. (Don't know whether this could be said in English, too.)
    Again: What is ##w(a)##? (Forget the ##x## for a second.)

8. Feb 20, 2016 #7

RJLiberator

Gold Member

w(a) = (a-a)+1 = 1.
    So clearly that cannot be a root. So if the product of the (x-a) terms are equal to 0, the +1 disallows it from being a root.

This also works for more terms then just one. As (a-a) = 0, we see (a-a)(a-a1)(a-a2)....(a-an)+1 = 1.

9. Feb 20, 2016 #8

fresh_42

Yes. ##w(a) = (a-a_1) ... (a-a_n) +1_F## but ##a \in \mathbf{F} = \{a_1, ... , a_n\}##. Therefore ##w(a) = 1_F## and ##1_F \neq 0_F## because ##\mathbf{F}## is a field.

10. Feb 20, 2016 #9

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Ugh, I can't believe I didn't see this obvious result from the start.

I'm so out of it lately.

That is completely obvious :p.

Indeed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted