[Abstract Algebra] Field and Polynomial Root problem

In summary: What is ##w(a)##? (Forget the ##x## for a second.)w(a) = (a-a_1) ... (a-a_n) +1_FSo clearly that cannot be a root. So if the product of the (x-a) terms are equal to 0, the +1 disallows it from being a root.This also works for more terms then just one. As (a-a) = 0, we see (a-a)(a-a1)(a-a2)...(a-an)+1 = 1.w(a) = (a-a)+1 = 1.So clearly that cannot be
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Suppose a field F has n elements and [itex]F=(a_1,a_2,...,a_n)[/itex]. Show that the polynomial [itex]w(x)=(x-a_1)(x-a_2)...(x-a_n)+1_F[/itex] has no roots in F, where [itex]1_f[/itex] denotes the multiplicative identity in F.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Strategy: We have this polynomial:
[itex]w(x)=(x-a_1)(x-a_2)...(x-a_n)+1_F[/itex]
When we set it to 0 we see that the (x-a) terms need to equal -1 for w(x) to have a root.

But here's my problem.
I was thinking of trying to use induction on this proof.
But if n = 0, then we have x+1 = 0 and x = i^2 which is in a field, the complex field.
That has a root.

But ok, let's say n = 1. Then we have x-a+1=0 in which case x = 3, a=4 would be a root.

Must I assume that there is more then n=1 elements?

Physics news on Phys.org
The point is that you already know all possible values for ##x##. What happens if you try them all one by one?

Likes RJLiberator
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. We know all possible values of x? Sure, but couldn't that be from -infinity to +infinity? How does that help?
There must be a deeper understanding to what you are alluding at, but my initial thoughts are that it is confusing. We know all possible values for x?

RJLiberator said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. We know all possible values of x? Sure, but couldn't that be from -infinity to +infinity? How does that help?
There must be a deeper understanding to what you are alluding at, but my initial thoughts are that it is confusing. We know all possible values for x?
You are looking for a root of ##w(x)##, i.e. an element ##a ∈ \mathbf{F}## such that ##w(a) = 0##.
Why don't you try all possible ##a## and see what ##w(a)## will get you? There are only finitely many of them, nothing with infinity.

Likes RJLiberator
Okay, I am starting to see where you are going with this.

w(x) = (x-a)+1 = 0

w(x)= (x-a1)(x-a2)+1 = 0
[itex]x^2-x*a_2-x*a_1+a_1*a_2+1= 0[/itex]

Couldn't we have a1 = -1 and a2 = 1 and x = 0 ?

RJLiberator said:
Okay, I am starting to see where you are going with this.

w(x) = (x-a)+1 = 0

w(x)= (x-a1)(x-a2)+1 = 0
[itex]x^2-x*a_2-x*a_1+a_1*a_2+1= 0[/itex]

Couldn't we have a1 = -1 and a2 = 1 and x = 0 ?
I think you don't see the forest for all the trees. (Don't know whether this could be said in English, too.)
Again: What is ##w(a)##? (Forget the ##x## for a second.)

Likes RJLiberator
w(a) = (a-a)+1 = 1.
So clearly that cannot be a root. So if the product of the (x-a) terms are equal to 0, the +1 disallows it from being a root.

This also works for more terms then just one. As (a-a) = 0, we see (a-a)(a-a1)(a-a2)...(a-an)+1 = 1.

RJLiberator said:
w(a) = (a-a)+1 = 1.
So clearly that cannot be a root. So if the product of the (x-a) terms are equal to 0, the +1 disallows it from being a root.

This also works for more terms then just one. As (a-a) = 0, we see (a-a)(a-a1)(a-a2)...(a-an)+1 = 1.
Yes. ##w(a) = (a-a_1) ... (a-a_n) +1_F## but ##a \in \mathbf{F} = \{a_1, ... , a_n\}##. Therefore ##w(a) = 1_F## and ##1_F \neq 0_F## because ##\mathbf{F}## is a field.

Likes RJLiberator
Ugh, I can't believe I didn't see this obvious result from the start.

I'm so out of it lately.

That is completely obvious :p.

I think you don't see the forest for all the trees. (Don't know whether this could be said in English, too.)

Indeed.

1. What is a field in abstract algebra?

A field in abstract algebra is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements, along with two operations (usually addition and multiplication) that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure, associativity, commutativity, distributivity, and the existence of additive and multiplicative inverses.

2. What is the polynomial root problem?

The polynomial root problem is a fundamental problem in abstract algebra that involves finding the roots, or solutions, of a polynomial equation. Given a polynomial with coefficients from a field, the polynomial root problem asks for the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero.

3. How is the polynomial root problem related to fields?

The polynomial root problem is closely related to fields because the solutions, or roots, of a polynomial equation must come from the same field as the coefficients of the polynomial. In other words, the roots must be elements of the field in which the polynomial is defined.

4. What is the difference between a field and a polynomial ring?

A field is a mathematical structure that satisfies certain properties, while a polynomial ring is a specific type of algebraic structure that is built from a field. In a polynomial ring, the elements are polynomials with coefficients from a field, and the operations are addition and multiplication of polynomials.

5. How are fields and polynomial rings used in practical applications?

Fields and polynomial rings have many practical applications, particularly in the fields of cryptography and error-correcting codes. In cryptography, fields are used to encrypt messages and protect sensitive information. In error-correcting codes, polynomial rings are used to encode and decode data, ensuring accurate transmission and storage of information.