Group Theory (Abstract algebra manipulations)

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving expressions for the elements of a group G based on given relations, and ultimately proving that a^5 = e, the identity element. The solution involves substituting values and manipulating equations to find the appropriate powers for each element.
pbxed

Homework Statement

Let a,b,c,d be elements of a group G and let ab = c, bc = d, cd = a, da = b. Examine the expression da^2b and first derive an expression for b in powers of a. Then express c and d in powers of a. Show that a^5 = e (identity element)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've been banging me head against this one for a while now. I feel like its something simple and obvious but i can't figure it out. I have an expression for b:

da^2b = daab = (da)(ab) = bc = d

d^-1*daab=d^-1*d
eaab = e
b = a^-2

I can't figure out c or d, well i should say I have worked out values for c and d but know them to be wrong because I can't show a^5 = e. (and also I have the answers to this question)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
pbxed said:

Homework Statement

Let a,b,c,d be elements of a group G and let ab = c, bc = d, cd = a, da = b. Examine the expression da^2b and first derive an expression for b in powers of a. Then express c and d in powers of a. Show that a^5 = e (identity element)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've been banging me head against this one for a while now. I feel like its something simple and obvious but i can't figure it out. I have an expression for b:

da^2b = daab = (da)(ab) = bc = d

d^-1*daab=d^-1*d
eaab = e
b = a^-2

I can't figure out c or d, well i should say I have worked out values for c and d but know them to be wrong because I can't show a^5 = e. (and also I have the answers to this question)

Thanks

You know c=ab. So what happens if you substitute b=a-2 in that equation?

Well c = a*a^-2
c=a^-1 right?

Thats the value I got but when I look at the solution its wrong.

Supposedly c = b^-2 = a^4

Indeed, that is what we want to prove. You already know that [itex]c=a^{-1}[/itex]. And what we want to prove is that [itex]a^{-1}=a^{4}[/itex]. But to prove that, you will want to calculate d first...

Oh, I just worked it out. God I feel dumb.

Thx for your help micromass :)

1. What is Group Theory?

Group Theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the algebraic structures called groups. It is concerned with the properties and operations of these groups, as well as their applications in various fields of mathematics and science.

2. What are the basic elements of a group?

The basic elements of a group are a set of objects, called the group's elements, and a binary operation that combines any two elements to form a third element. The operation must also satisfy four properties: closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility.

3. What are some common examples of groups?

Some common examples of groups include the integers with addition as the operation, the real numbers (excluding 0) with multiplication as the operation, and the set of rotations of a regular polygon.

4. What is the importance of Group Theory in science?

Group Theory has many applications in science, including in physics, chemistry, and cryptography. It provides a framework for understanding symmetry and patterns in nature, and it can be used to solve problems in quantum mechanics, molecular structure, and data encryption.

5. How is Group Theory related to other branches of mathematics?

Group Theory has connections to many other areas of mathematics, such as linear algebra, topology, and number theory. It is also closely related to other branches of abstract algebra, including ring theory and field theory.