1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Academic concerns. how rigorous should it be

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    how is freshman physics different from ap physics? i hear that physics at freshman year is a lot harder than ap physics.

also i know calculus, although not rigorously. kinda "for dummies" level, where derivative is "instantaneous rate of change", etc. i know how the definitions work, but still.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2
    Yeah, Freshman Physics (for majors of course) is much more difficult than AP Physics. Calculus in AP Physics is used very minimally, but used extensively in college. Solving simple block-and-rope type problems get's about a weeks attention and solving projectile motion problems maybe a day (if that). You'll spend much more time in developing concepts of energy and work, as well as momentum, and their usefulness will become very apparent. It's all a blast though -- if you like physics.

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    also should i start the rigorous training beginning with calculus or with analysis/algebra

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook