Academic Planning and Graduate School

In summary, the individual is currently in their final year of a non-traditional, interdisciplinary Bachelor of Science degree. They are interested in pursuing graduate studies in theoretical/computational neuroscience, but feel unprepared and are considering taking additional undergraduate courses to strengthen their foundational knowledge and skills. They list their current senior-level courses and express difficulty in integrating ideas from various disciplines. They are open to suggestions, particularly in taking advanced computer science and applied mathematics courses.
CopperNerves
Hello Everyone!

I'm currently in the final year of my Bachelor of Science, and I'm interested in pursuing graduate studies in theoretical/computational neuroscience. Unfortunately, I don't feel prepared for graduate level study/research in this discipline. Therefore, I'm contemplating taking an additional year, or two, of undergraduate studies to develop more foundational knowledge and skills. With that in mind, I could really use some outside insight into what courses I should be taking, textbooks I should be reading, or MITOCW courses I should be learning on my own.

So, to make giving advice easier, I will start by stating my current degree is unconventional. It's highly interdisciplinary and doesn't fit nicely under the umbrella of any major. However, I think a quick list of my senior-level courses will give a general idea of what I know:
Psychopharmacology & Advanced Pharmacology
Advanced Neuroscience, Neuropsychology I & II, Evolutionary Psychology, & Psychopathology
Thermodynamics, Quantum Mechanics, & Electromagnetism
Molecular Physiology I & II, Histology, & Molecular Genetics
Point-Set Topology & Analysis (Calculus I-IV)
Organic Synthesis & Drug Design

My biggest concern is that despite taking a lot of courses in a variety of disciplines, I find it incredibly difficult to integrate ideas. I'm made especially aware of this when I read articles from Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience or Neuroinformatics.

I'm thinking that it'd be to my benefit to take some advanced computer science courses, and more 'applied' mathematics. But, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your current BS degree in?

SteamKing said:
What's your current BS degree in?

I didn't major in anything.

1. What is academic planning?

Academic planning is the process of creating a plan for your academic career, including setting goals, choosing courses and programs, and mapping out a timeline for when you will complete your degree. It is important for students to have a clear academic plan to ensure they are on track to graduate and achieve their academic and career goals.

2. How do I choose a graduate school?

Choosing a graduate school involves researching and considering various factors such as program offerings, faculty, location, cost, and reputation. It is important to also consider your own academic and career goals and make sure the graduate school aligns with them. You can also reach out to current students and alumni for their insights and experiences.

3. What is the application process for graduate school?

The application process for graduate school varies depending on the institution, but generally involves filling out an application form, submitting transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores. Some programs may also require a writing sample or interview. It is important to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each program you are interested in.

4. How do I prepare for graduate school?

Preparing for graduate school involves a combination of academic, professional, and personal preparations. This can include taking relevant courses, gaining research experience, networking with professionals in your desired field, and preparing for standardized tests. It is also important to consider financial planning and determining how you will fund your graduate education.

5. What are the benefits of attending graduate school?

Attending graduate school can provide numerous benefits, such as gaining specialized knowledge and skills in your field, increasing job opportunities and earning potential, and developing a valuable network of professionals and mentors. It can also help you stand out in a competitive job market and advance your career. Additionally, graduate school can be a fulfilling and rewarding experience for those who are passionate about their field of study.