Acceleration and distance problem

In summary, the villain in the action movie is rescued from the ocean by grabbing onto a helicopter ladder, but in the process, he drops his briefcase of counterfeit money from a height of 130m. Using the equations Vf=Vi+ax*delta t and (Vf)squared=(Vi)squared + 2(ax)*delta x, the speed of the helicopter ascending can be calculated by using the given acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 and the time it takes for the briefcase to hit the water, which is 6.0 seconds. However, the value for Vi calculated using these equations may not be accurate due to incomplete information.
deenuh20

Homework Statement

In an action movie, the villain is rescued from the ocean by grabbing onto the ladder hanging from a helicopter. He is so intent on gripping the ladder that he let's go of his briefcase of counterfeit money when he is 130m above the water.

Homework Equations

Vf=Vi+ax*delta t

(Vf)squared=(Vi)squared + 2(ax)*delta x

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm supposed to use the first equation to figure out Vi. I calculated Vf using acceleration of 9.8 *6s, which equals 58.8 m/s. But if i throw in Vf, a, and delta t, into the first equation, Vi equals 1. I don't know if this is right so far, but I'm stuck here so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
where do you get 6s?
all you seem to be given is:
y=130m above the water.

Is there more to that problem? since you don't say what the question is exactly.

Crap, my bad. This is the question:

If the briefcase hits the water 6.0s later, what was the speed at which the helicopter was ascending?

O ok, well is the 9.8 the acceleration of the brief case? because what other force was acting on the briefcase? if the 9.8 was gravity going down, was something pulling it "up"?

i'm not really sure. if there is anything pulling it up, it would be the helicopter. that is all the information they provided us with.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is acceleration related to distance?

Acceleration and distance are related through the equation d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration. This equation can be used to calculate the distance an object travels when subjected to a constant acceleration.

3. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the change in time, while instantaneous acceleration is the value of acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration refers to the exact acceleration at a specific moment.

4. How does acceleration affect motion?

Acceleration affects motion by changing an object's velocity. If an object is accelerating, its velocity will either increase or decrease depending on the direction of the acceleration. This change in velocity will cause the object to either speed up or slow down, thus affecting its motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration and distance problems?

Some real-life examples of acceleration and distance problems include a car accelerating from a stop sign and traveling a certain distance, a rollercoaster accelerating down a hill and reaching a specific distance, and a rocket accelerating into space and traveling a certain distance. These problems involve finding the distance traveled based on the object's acceleration and initial conditions.