Acceleration of time due to entropy

In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothesis on why the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, which suggests that time itself is accelerating and slowing down since the big bang. The idea is compared to a runner in a race and the relationship between time and entropy is explored. The conversation also mentions different types of time and an equation that was created to calculate the speed of time. The person is open to friendly criticism and questions, but it is noted that studying general relativity and current theories is necessary to fully understand the complex topic. The conversation is then closed as personal theories are not discussed on the website.
R0dr1go
TL;DR Summary
A hypothesis I formulated on why the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.
Hello,

I am a 15 year old who has done research around the topic of why the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, and how it will come to an end. After years of thought (since I was 11) I have come up with my hypothesis that time itself is accelerating and slowing down, and has been since the big bang.

I like to think about it like a runner in a race, where the runner is time and the race is the universe. Before the race starts, the runner is relatively motionless. In terms of the initial singularity, it had very little entropy and is nearly motionless. As the race starts, the runner starts slow and rapidly starts speeding up. Pre-mid race, the runner is going most likely as fast as they will get, with enough energy to run a decent amount of time at a fast pace. Come mid race, the runner slows down substantially. Post-mid race the runner begins to speed back up, and at the finale, the runner stops again, until the next race.

In universe terms, time is moving like the runner, fluctuating relative to the amount of entropy is in the universe. So, this is why so many things occurred so quickly in the beginning of the universe. Time started off slow, so to speak, and allowed everything to happen at a regular pace. But to us, however, because time is so much faster, due to the amount of entropy, we perceive the beginnings to happen in fractions of a second.

I have also came to believe that there is more than one type of "time:" human-made time (it's 8:00), the coordinate of time (time relative to its observer) , and the arrow of time (every event moves through time). I'm discussing solely the third option for time. I've also found that time and entropy are directly proportional variables, as time goes up, so does entropy, and vice versa.

So, using all of this information, I created an equation for how fast time is moving currently. The equation and answers are on the pdf I attached. The variables are the acceleration of time, the change in entropy, and the age of the universe. The units describe for every kilogram of mass, time accelerates x amount due to entropy.

Thoughts? I'm open to friendly criticism and/or questions. Thanks for listening!

Attachments

• Universe.pdf
    36.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
R0dr1go said:
Summary:: A hypothesis I formulated on why the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.

Thoughts? I'm open to friendly criticism and/or questions. Thanks for listening!

Well, interesting idea, but I fear that there is no shortcut to first study general relativity. The problem is complex and we are still not even sure about the long-term outcome of the universe. It is, unfortunately, a difficult subject that requires learning the current theories and even more, learning what we do know already. Scientists spent at least as much time checking recent results, as they spent on their own research. To be able to do this, you'll have to learn a lot more. But stay curious! It is, in my opinion, the most important quality.

I'm sorry, that we do not discuss personal theories on this website. Therefore I have to close this thread.

1. What is the concept of "acceleration of time due to entropy"?

The acceleration of time due to entropy refers to the phenomenon in which time appears to pass faster as the universe progresses towards a state of maximum disorder or entropy. This is due to the fact that as entropy increases, the number of possible states or configurations of the universe also increases, leading to a perceived acceleration of time.

2. How does entropy affect the perception of time?

As entropy increases, the number of possible states or configurations of the universe also increases. This leads to a perceived acceleration of time, as more events and changes occur in a shorter amount of time. This is because the universe is constantly moving towards a state of maximum disorder, and as it does so, more and more changes occur, making it seem like time is passing faster.

3. Can entropy be reversed to slow down time?

No, entropy is a fundamental law of thermodynamics and cannot be reversed. The universe is constantly moving towards a state of maximum disorder, and this process cannot be reversed. Therefore, the acceleration of time due to entropy is a natural occurrence that cannot be slowed down or reversed.

4. How does the acceleration of time due to entropy relate to the concept of time dilation?

Time dilation, as described by Einstein's theory of relativity, refers to the slowing down of time in a system that is moving at a high speed or is in a strong gravitational field. While time dilation is a result of the laws of physics, the acceleration of time due to entropy is a result of the increase in disorder in the universe. These are two separate phenomena that are not directly related.

5. Is the acceleration of time due to entropy a proven concept?

While the concept of the acceleration of time due to entropy is widely accepted among scientists, it is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven definitively. However, there is strong evidence to support this idea, including observations of the expansion of the universe and the increase in entropy over time.