aviv87
- 17
- 0
Doc Al said:Sounds right to me. But no need to guess. Consider the forces on each mass, and the fact that the springs won't change lengths instantly.
I don't see how he could think that the one on top could have an acceleration less than g. If the only force on it were gravity, a = g. But you've also got a stretched spring pulling it down, so a > g. Ask him to explain his reasoning.aviv87 said:Well, that's what I got, but my physics teacher said he thinks it's a=0 for the bottom one, but that the one on top would have a<g, but he wasn't sure.
Doc Al said:I don't see how he could think that the one on top could have an acceleration less than g. If the only force on it were gravity, a = g. But you've also got a stretched spring pulling it down, so a > g. Ask him to explain his reasoning.![]()