1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of water drops problem

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the effects of air acting on falling raindrops are ignored, then we can treat raindrops as freely falling objects. Rain clouds are typically a few hundred feet up in the sky. Estimate the speed which raindrops would strike the ground if they were freely falling objects.

2. Relevant equations

vf^2=vo^2+2as
    vf-TARGET
    v0- 0
    s- 200
    a- -9.8

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok I know the answer, but I don't understand something. What I did was put all my knowns into the equation. Then this is what it looks like.
    vf^2= -3920
    That is obviously unreal. Then I see that there is a problem with the acceleration. WHY? I thought acceleration of freely falling objects was -9.8.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2
    Re: What

Oh and by the way this is not homework. My goal is to make the iPHO in my highschool years. This problem is from University Physics. Which book do you pros recommend to prepare for olympiad problems? University Physics or Fundamental Physics or others?

4. Apr 19, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

s and a are both negative here.

5. Apr 19, 2009 #4

If I'm not mistaken, the acceleration of freely falling objects near the surface of the earth is 9.8 m/s2, so a would be 9.8, try plugging that into the equation. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook