Accretion rate onto a WD over time (relation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the correlation between accretion rate and time, with the belief that the rate should decrease as time increases. The topic is related to white dwarfs and is not for homework, but for personal curiosity. The conversation also mentions moving the thread to the Astro forum and asks for links to reading on the topic.
physicschick21
Hi all, I was wondering if there is a correlation between the accretion rate and time. I think it should decrease as time increases, but I can't find the right correlation

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

What's a "WD"? White Dwarf?

Likes physicschick21 and Bystander
yes. sorry for the abbreviation.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What's a "WD"? White Dwarf?
and thank you :-)

Great, thanks. Is this mainly homework of some kind, or is it a more general technical question? I can move it to the technical PF forums if it's a more general question. Also, what have you found in your searching so far? Can you post some links to your reading? Thanks.

Likes physicschick21
it's not for homework. just curiosity :-)

Fair enough. I'll move this thread to the Astro forum. Please post links to the reading you have been doing on this so far. Thanks.

1. What is accretion rate onto a white dwarf over time?

Accretion rate onto a white dwarf over time is the measurement of how much mass is being transferred onto a white dwarf star from a companion star. This process occurs in a binary star system where the white dwarf is gravitationally pulling material from its companion.

2. How does the accretion rate onto a white dwarf change over time?

The accretion rate onto a white dwarf can change over time as the companion star evolves. As the companion star expands and becomes a red giant, the rate of mass transfer onto the white dwarf may increase. However, as the companion star loses mass, the accretion rate may decrease.

3. What factors influence the accretion rate onto a white dwarf?

The main factor that influences the accretion rate onto a white dwarf is the mass of the companion star. A more massive companion star will transfer more material onto the white dwarf. Other factors that can impact the accretion rate include the orbital period of the binary system and the composition of the material being transferred.

4. Is the accretion rate onto a white dwarf constant over time?

No, the accretion rate onto a white dwarf is not constant over time. As mentioned before, it can change as the companion star evolves. Additionally, the rate can also vary due to other factors such as the presence of a third body in the system or variations in the mass transfer process itself.

5. Why is the accretion rate onto a white dwarf important to study?

Studying the accretion rate onto a white dwarf can provide insights into the evolution of binary star systems and the fate of white dwarf stars. It can also help us understand the physical processes involved in mass transfer and how it affects the chemical composition of the white dwarf. Additionally, studying accretion onto white dwarfs can also have implications for understanding other astronomical phenomena such as supernovae explosions.