1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acetylation- acetic acid or acetic anhydride

1. Jun 7, 2007 #1
    I did an experiment in one of the labs and I have a question I need to figure out.
    The experiment was the porduction of p-acetylaminotoluene, from p-toluidine.
    My question is we used acetic acid and acetic anhydride, but which is the acetyalting species.
    I thought of looking at the structures of them but that kinda just confused me more.
    I know that acetic anhydride is used to acetylate secondary and primary alcohols sometimes, but it gives a lower yield.
    I got quite a high yield so I thought that the acetic acid might have been the acetylating species.

If anyone could just point me in the right direction that would be gr8. I am goin to ask my demonstrator today but any help would still be much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2
    Have a look at the quantities of both chemicals you used, if that doesn't point you in the right direction post all the numbers here and I'll have a look at them for you.
  4. Jun 12, 2007 #3
    I used 4ml of acetic acid and 6ml of acetic anhydride.
    I dont know how knowing how much I put in shows which is the acetylating species?
  5. Jun 12, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

acetic acid is an acid and toluidine is an amine base. What happens when you combine an acid with a base?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?