Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Acetylation- acetic acid or acetic anhydride

1. Jun 7, 2007 #1
    I did an experiment in one of the labs and I have a question I need to figure out.
    The experiment was the porduction of p-acetylaminotoluene, from p-toluidine.
    My question is we used acetic acid and acetic anhydride, but which is the acetyalting species.
    I thought of looking at the structures of them but that kinda just confused me more.
    I know that acetic anhydride is used to acetylate secondary and primary alcohols sometimes, but it gives a lower yield.
    I got quite a high yield so I thought that the acetic acid might have been the acetylating species.

If anyone could just point me in the right direction that would be gr8. I am goin to ask my demonstrator today but any help would still be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2
    Have a look at the quantities of both chemicals you used, if that doesn't point you in the right direction post all the numbers here and I'll have a look at them for you.

4. Jun 12, 2007 #3
    I used 4ml of acetic acid and 6ml of acetic anhydride.
    I dont know how knowing how much I put in shows which is the acetylating species?

5. Jun 12, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

acetic acid is an acid and toluidine is an amine base. What happens when you combine an acid with a base?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook