1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

7% glacial acetic acid in 40% (v/v) methanol

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    How do I make 7% glacial acetic acid in 40% (v/v) methanol?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

7% w/w, 7% w/v or 7% v/v?

Please note you should show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy.

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3
  5. Jan 18, 2012 #4

Borek

7% in 40%v/v is ambiguous, no wonder you are confused.

Do you at least know definitions of w/w%, v/v% and w/v%?

6. Jan 18, 2012 #5
    I think I know the definition for those.
    Do you think I have to make 7 ml(acetic acid) + 40 ml(methanol) and add water up to 100 ml?

Or Do I have to make 7% acetic acid (7ml in 100ml of water) and then add it to 40% methanol? If I do the 2nd way, how much of acetic acid I need to add to Methanol?

Or Is these are not right & I have to prepare it in a different way?

7. Jan 18, 2012 #6

Borek

First approach sounds more reasonable, although I would go slightly different way - I would start with 40 mL of methanol, add 60 mL of water (that would give 40%v/v methanol), then add 7.3 mL of glacial acetic acid (0.3 mL more to account for the fact final volume would be around 104 mL, as volume of the methanol solution would be around 97 mL due to the volume contraction). At least that's how I understand the composition of the solution. But as I wrote earlier, document you have linked to is ambiguous, so could be I am wrong.

8. Jan 19, 2012 #7
    I believe what you suggested is more appropriate for this context.

Thanks a lot.

At first, I thought I would just write the question and get the answer. But you made me think. I appreciate your policy. Thanks again.
    I am sure I will have a lot more questions to ask. :)

9. Jan 19, 2012 #8

Borek

Be prepared for more thinking then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook