Achieving CEng and CPhys: My Story

• Physics
  • Thread starter SteveeGeorge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    career advice
In summary, the speaker is a recent MSci Physics graduate who has landed their first job as an engineer at a small company specializing in manufacturing infrared optics. They are ambitious to obtain charter-ship for both engineering and physics and are seeking advice on how to achieve the CPhys title while working in an engineering role. They are also looking for guidance on whether practicing physics in their own time or tackling physics-related problems in their engineering role will count towards their charter-ship. The speaker is also in search of advice on how to approach this goal since they do not know any chartered engineers or physicists. A link to a website with information on the requirements for PPhys certification is provided as a potential resource.
SteveeGeorge
Hi all,

I hope someone can enlighten me.

I have just recently graduated (2016) with an MSci Physics degree, and landed my first job as an engineer. The company specializes in manufacturing of infrared optics. Its a very small company but currently getting excellent experience. I've been here for approx 5-6 Months.

As the title of this thread suggests, I'm ambitious to obtain charter-ship for both engineering and physics. I consider it my next career goal to make. Since my career path follows an engineering agenda, I'm confident the CEng title will present itself especially if I am working hard towards it.

However, I am stuck on how to achieve the CPhys title if I'm always in a engineering role. The Institute of Physics description of it I found quite vague. Do I need to be in a research environment? Can I practice Physics in my own time and still get the charter-ship? Does attacking physics related problems in an engineering role count towards a charter-ship? I do not know any chartered engineers or physicists, thus no advice on how to approach this.

If anyone could enlighten me and/or give me advice towards setting out to achieve this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

https://www.linkedin.com/in/steveegeorge?trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if this will help you much, but the https://www.cap.ca/en/careers/pphys-certification, which I suspect is similar. They have a lot of information about the requirements. They are quite liberal from what I remember.

Related to Achieving CEng and CPhys: My Story

1. What qualifications are needed to achieve CEng and CPhys?

To achieve Chartered Engineer (CEng) and Chartered Physicist (CPhys) status, you will need a relevant undergraduate degree in engineering or physics, followed by a postgraduate degree or equivalent work experience. You will also need to pass a professional review interview and demonstrate your competence through a portfolio of work.

2. How long does it take to become a CEng and CPhys?

The length of time it takes to achieve CEng and CPhys status varies depending on your individual circumstances and the route you take. On average, it can take between 4-8 years from the start of your undergraduate degree.

3. What are the benefits of achieving CEng and CPhys?

There are many benefits to achieving CEng and CPhys status, including recognition of your professional expertise and skills, increased job opportunities and salary potential, and international recognition of your qualifications. It also demonstrates your commitment to continuous learning and development.

4. Can I achieve CEng and CPhys without a postgraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to achieve CEng and CPhys status without a postgraduate degree. You can do so by demonstrating equivalent work experience and professional development through a Technical Report or Professional Review Interview.

5. How can I prepare for the professional review interview?

To prepare for the professional review interview, it is important to carefully review the relevant competencies and requirements set by the Engineering Council and the Institute of Physics. You should also gather evidence of your work and achievements, and practice your presentation and interview skills.