Acidity of lactic acid and propanoic acid

  • Thread starter Thread starter Michael_Light
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
Michael_Light
Messages
112
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



i) Is lactic acid,CH3CH(OH)COOH a stronger or weaker acid than propanoic acid (CH3CH2COOH)

ii) Another question is does ketone reacts with phosphorus pentachloride PCl5?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



(i) I guess lactic acid is a stronger acid because the oxygen atom on the hydroxyl group is very electronegative thus increases the polarity of the -OH bond on the carboxyl group, so H+ are more easily released. (Please correct me if i am wrong)

(ii) I can't find any relevant information from my textbook and even on google, but I encountered this type of question from my exercise book.. Can anyone guide me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Infinitum said:
...snip

Ketones react with phosphorus penta-chloride to give acid chlorides.

Close, but not quite. The product isn't called an acid chloride.
 
chemisttree said:
Close, but not quite. The product isn't called an acid chloride.

Whoops, I meant alkyl chlorides, specifically geminal.