1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acidity of lactic acid and propanoic acid

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i) Is lactic acid,CH3CH(OH)COOH a stronger or weaker acid than propanoic acid (CH3CH2COOH)

ii) Another question is does ketone reacts with phosphorus pentachloride PCl5?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) I guess lactic acid is a stronger acid because the oxygen atom on the hydroxyl group is very electronegative thus increases the polarity of the -OH bond on the carboxyl group, so H+ are more easily released. (Please correct me if i am wrong)

(ii) I can't find any relevant information from my text book and even on google, but I encountered this type of question from my exercise book.. Can anyone guide me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2
    Hi Michael!

For (i) you are correct that lactic acid is stronger. -OH in an alkyl chain acts as electron withdrawing due to -I effect.

For (ii) you probably didn't google it well, as it is quite a standard reaction in organic chemistry. :tongue2:

Ketones react with phosphorus penta-chloride to give acid chlorides.

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/local/organic/tutorial/DB_Carbonylnotes1.pdf

4. Jun 19, 2012 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Close, but not quite. The product isn't called an acid chloride.

5. Jun 19, 2012 #4
    Whoops, I meant alkyl chlorides, specifically geminal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook