1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between the acid strength of inorganic and organic acids

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi. I'm pretty much a beginner in organic chemistry and I'm just wondering something.

For example, I know that HCl is a stronger acid than HF.

But... then why the following happens if a have an organic acid (e.g a carboxylic acid)?

According to what I see, a carboxylic acid with a Cl substitutent is weaker than one with a F substituent.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I also know that because of electronegativity the difference between H and F is higher than that of H and Cl. So, that means that the bond between H and F is stronger, and therefore, the compoud is weaker ... am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

All Organic acids are weak acid (Generally). To determine the acidic strength, try forming their conjugate base on paper. Check their stability.

For F and Cl substituted Carboxylic acid, F exerts its inductive effect more than Cl, so it stabilizes the conjugate base by shifting the negative charge from -COO group to a wider area.

4. Sep 25, 2012 #3
    There is a huge difference in the trend in acid strength if we are looking at the atom directly bonded to the acidic hydrogen, or a more remote atom.
    For directly bonded atoms:
    HI > HBr > HCl > HF
    H2Se > H2S > H2O

For more remote atoms:
    HONO2 > HOPO2
    HOSO2OH > HOSeO2OH

Organic acids also follow this latter trend:

CH2F.COOH > CH2Cl.COOH > CH3.COOH

5. Sep 25, 2012 #4

AGNuke

Gold Member

The trend depends majorly on the stability of conjugate base. The better the CB is able to handle the negative charge on itself, the more acidic the acid. Simple Enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook