Oxo acids, attraction between Y element and oxygen

In summary, oxo acids can be strong if the element Y has a high electronegativity. This is because a higher EN allows Y to stabilize the Y-O product, making the acid stronger. This can be seen in the example of HOI and HOCl, where the higher EN difference between O and I allows for easier extraction of H+, making HOI weaker than HOCl.
ducmod
Hello!
I have read (I don't remember the source, and have it only in my notes now) that oxo acids can be strong if Y element has a high electronegativity.
If generic formula for oxo acids is HnYOm, than if Y has high electronegativity, it will cause the acid to become strong because Y will be "happy to be on the right side of equation because there are more electorns on the molecule"
HnYoM + H2O -> (double arrows here) H3 + Hn-1YOm
"the more electronegative Y is the better it can stabilize the Y-O product and the stronger the acid will be.
I don't get it. I will be grateful for your help and explanation.
For example:
HOI is weaker than HOCl
O has electronegativity of 3.5, I 2.5, Cl 3.00
I don't see how the above explanation works.
What I can assume from the numbers is that O and Cl has a small difference in their electronegativity of 0.5, which might mean that electrons are more or less equally shared between these elements; while the difference between O and I is 1, hence electrons are more likely to be around O. Would it mean that the O-Cl bond is stronger than O-I one and hence it weakens the H-O bond, allowing H to go?

Please, help me.
Thank you very much!

Sad that I have not received any responses. Please, let me know if I have badly stated the question.

Here is how I understood it when I learned it. Hope it helps you too.

When we compare oxoacids across a group the strongest oxacid is the one which has the highest EN. This is because if the element has high EN it can pull the shared electrons of O-Y bond with greater ease. Now oxygen, by virtue, prefers the presence of electrons around it. Here in this case it can draw the electrons from the O-H bond closer towards itself. Thus the hydrogen gains a partial positive charge, making it easier for its extraction as H+.

ducmod said:
Would it mean that the O-Cl bond is stronger than O-I one and hence it weakens the H-O bond, allowing H to go?

You were almost correct. It is not the bond strength but the EN difference which allowed the H+ to leave.

1. What are Oxo acids?

Oxo acids, also known as oxyacids, are a class of compounds that contain oxygen, hydrogen, and another element (X) bonded together. The hydrogen and X element are connected to the oxygen atom through a covalent bond, and the oxygen atom has one or more additional oxygen atoms bonded to it through a double or triple bond.

2. How are Oxo acids formed?

Oxo acids are formed through the reaction of an element or compound with oxygen in the presence of water. This process is called oxidation and results in the formation of a new compound with the oxygen atom bonded to the element or compound.

3. What is the attraction between Y element and oxygen in Oxo acids?

The attraction between the Y element and oxygen in Oxo acids is due to their difference in electronegativity. Oxygen is a highly electronegative element, meaning it has a strong pull on electrons, while the Y element has a lower electronegativity. This difference in electronegativity results in a polar covalent bond between the Y element and oxygen, with oxygen having a slight negative charge and the Y element having a slight positive charge.

4. What are some examples of Oxo acids?

Some common examples of Oxo acids include sulfuric acid (H2SO4), nitric acid (HNO3), and phosphoric acid (H3PO4). These acids are used in various industrial processes and are also found in nature, such as in the human body.

5. How do Oxo acids behave in solution?

Oxo acids behave as strong acids in solution, meaning they readily donate a hydrogen ion (H+) to water molecules. This results in the formation of hydronium ions (H3O+) and the conjugate base of the acid. The strength of the acid is determined by the number of oxygen atoms bonded to the central atom, with more oxygen atoms resulting in a stronger acid.