1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acoustics and Fluid Flow - COMSOL 4.2

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1
    Hello everyone,

First of all I am new here~

Second, I would like to "prove" on COMSOL that soundwaves (sound vibration) can alter/reshape the fluid flow

Can someone tell me the physics i should use as well as all the other parameters to make it work?

if someone is more experience can they tell me all the steps from scratch?

The idea came from one youtube video that shows that when water interacts with sound of 24Hz it can be reshaped
    (iif you dont know the video and because i am not sure if i can post it here you can type those keywords and check it).

in anyway like i said I want to prove (or investigate better say) on COMSOL 4.2 that sound can actually reshape the flow of liquids ( and specifically water)

any help is appreciated

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Are you talking about a video like this one:

In that case, this is simply a stroboscopic effect, since the acoustic wave is at the same frequency as the sampling rate of the camera.

I'm not sure there is an easy way to couple acoustic waves with fluid flow in COMSOL, especially if you are considering flow without walls (as in the video above).

4. Jan 9, 2017 #3
    Dear DrClaude,

I appreciate your response,

I have watched your video but i am actually referring to this:

my goal is to prove that sound (of same frequency) could alter the flow direction

and i was thinking if i can model and simulate it in COMSOL

if i use walls will it be easier?

in nature for example if i use sound waves can i "manipulate" the flow direction (even for a short period of time) of rivers, streams or torrents or even groundwater level?

can i show this in COMSOL and if yes how?

if i cant with soundwaves of same frequency which other force you recommend me?

thank you in advance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted