Acro Dance, Gymnastics, and Contortion Problems

• Thread starter bagasme
  • Start date
In summary, there is a lot of controversy over the incorporation of acro, gymnastics, and contortion into dance. Some believe that it is required for their success, while others believe that it is a high risk, high return activity that is causing serious health issues. The problem is worse when there are a lot of Youtube videos which involve contortion moves attempted/tried by Anna McNulty. Physiotherapists have reported an alarming rise in injuries not associated with dance, such as back injuries from backbends and tumbling and dislocated hips from overstretching. Another problem is that many dancers are excellent at tumbling, but struggle at choreography, because they trade dance technique class for acro one.
bagasme
Hello all,

AFAIK, dance world today incorporate too much flexibility showoffs (acro dance, [artistic] gymnastics, and [backbend] contortion).

Why? This problem originally come from America's huge competition circuits, in which TV shows like DanceMoms and Instagram platform amplify the problem. Many dancers believe that acro, gymnastics, and contortion are required for their success in dance career.

The problem worse when there are a lot Youtube videos which they attempted/tried contortion moves a la Anna McNulty.

The result? Physiotherapists reported alarming rise in injuries not associated with dance, such as back injuries from backbends and tumbling and dislocated hips from overstretching.

Another problem is many dancers are excellent at tumbling, but struggle at choreography, because they trade dance technique class for acro one.

So should we wait until we see a dancer forced to be in wheelchair for her rest of life because of this problem, and we learn from that?

Remember: acro, gymnastics, and contortion are high risk, high return activities, because while those are often benefical for dance progression, those often cause serious health issues (such as back pain issues).

-- Bagas

Source: The Acro Invasion

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmmm. It hurt watching Anna McNulty. She is definitely a flexible person. Not all bodies have the ability to do what she does, and that is just the way it is. I am sure she is trying to promote herself in some manner, which is fine, but watching a few minutes of her talking and doing did give me the impression that the videos are not for the ilk of Contortionist for Dummies crowd, but for someone who apparently has similar flexibility and would like to try different moves. I think I will try some of those moves. See you in the hospital.

Likes bagasme
256bits said:
Hmmmm. It hurt watching Anna McNulty. She is definitely a flexible person. Not all bodies have the ability to do what she does, and that is just the way it is. I am sure she is trying to promote herself in some manner, which is fine, but watching a few minutes of her talking and doing did give me the impression that the videos are not for the ilk of Contortionist for Dummies crowd, but for someone who apparently has similar flexibility and would like to try different moves. I think I will try some of those moves. See you in the hospital.

Such a sarcasm. Let's see PF trying to be Anna McNulty, and watch for our members in hospital as the result.

Maddie Ziegler from DanceMoms also have gymnastics tutorial:

What do you think about dancer-trying-gymnastics?

Looks easy.
I have no clue what DanceMoms is and don't really care if is just some showing off their kids.
I guess, as I said before, it gives others a chance to see what can be done.
We had gymnastics is school and the front hand spring is not that difficult.
Even spins off of a spring board, which gives a bit more boost.
I never could do the cartwheel, or the back hand spring though, backward flexibility limitation I suppose.
Hand stands and hand 'walking.'
Rings, balance beam, in the gymnasium, all that stuff for gymnastics.
Spotters were necessary, and I fear that some of these videos probably do not emphasize that well enough.

Like most things involving human abilities, there are components of both intrinsic capabilities and learned (or acquired through exercises) abilities.

I had a roommate who was gymnast. Gymnasts have specific ways (exercises) to increase flexibility. I have used these techniques and they work, within limits.
Any competent gymnast (like any athlete) would limit their actions to those that would not damage themselves. Its not that difficult to tell when you might be approaching your limits when it comes to streaching exercises. I would assume competent dancers have the same issues and awarenesses.

Those that ignore what their body is telling them can damage their body.
This is something they can avoid if they are mindful of what they are doing.

I have read that some Chinese gymnasts work out from an early age, which I would expect to give them significant advantages.

Some gymnasts, like Rachel Marie (the content creator) are also good at contortion, although she stopped it because of back pain (contortion's risk):

1. What is the difference between acro dance, gymnastics, and contortion?

Acro dance is a type of dance that incorporates acrobatic movements and techniques, while gymnastics is a sport that focuses on physical strength, flexibility, and agility. Contortion, on the other hand, is a form of performance art that involves extreme flexibility and bending of the body. While all three may involve similar movements, they differ in their overall purpose and execution.

2. Can anyone participate in acro dance, gymnastics, or contortion?

Yes, anyone can participate in these activities as long as they are physically able and have proper training. However, some people may have a natural advantage due to their body type or previous experience in related activities.

3. What are the most common injuries in acro dance, gymnastics, and contortion?

The most common injuries in these activities are typically related to overuse or repetitive movements, such as strains, sprains, and muscle imbalances. Other common injuries may include fractures, dislocations, and ligament tears.

4. How can I prevent injuries in acro dance, gymnastics, and contortion?

To prevent injuries, it is important to have proper technique and form, warm up and stretch before each session, and listen to your body and take breaks when needed. It is also important to have a balanced training program that includes rest days and cross-training activities to prevent overuse injuries.

5. Is it safe for children to participate in acro dance, gymnastics, and contortion?

Yes, as long as they are trained properly and supervised by qualified instructors, it can be safe for children to participate in these activities. It is important to start with age-appropriate exercises and progress gradually to more advanced movements to prevent injuries.

Back