Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Action of a vector on the pull-back of a function

1. Oct 16, 2016 #1
    Consider how a vector ##\bf{v}##at ##x## of ##M##, as a differential operator, acts on the pull-back of a function:

##{\bf{v}}(F^{*}f) = (F_{*}{\bf{v}})(f) = df(F_{*}{\bf{v}})##

I was wondering how to relate this to the following?

##\displaystyle{{\bf{v}}(F^{*}f)={\bf{v}}[f\{y(x)\}]=v^{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{i}}[f\{y(x)\}]=v^{i}\bigg(\frac{\partial y^{j}}{\partial x^{i}}\bigg)\bigg(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y^{j}}\bigg)}##

I ask this question because ##\displaystyle{F_{*}{\bf{v}}=\bigg(\frac{\partial y^{j}}{\partial x^{i}}\bigg)v^{i}}##, with the implicit Einstein summation convention,

so that ##\displaystyle{(F_{*}{\bf{v}})(f)=v^{i}\bigg(\frac{\partial y^{j}}{\partial x^{i}}\bigg)f \neq v^{i}\bigg(\frac{\partial y^{j}}{\partial x^{i}}\bigg)\bigg(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y^{j}}\bigg)}##

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first step of your final line is not how a vector acts on a function. In general, if ##V## is a vector in the manifold ##F## maps to, then ##V(f) = V^i\partial_i f = df(V)## by definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted