1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding and subtracting polynomials

1. Nov 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write each polynomial in standard form. Then name each polynomial based on its degree and number of terms.

1.4y^3 -4y^2+3-y
    2.x^2=x^4-6
    3.x+2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    4y+3-y
    Don't know where else to go from here. Would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2015 #2
    Your problem statement doesn't actually say a problem.

4. Nov 10, 2015 #3
    Edited.

5. Nov 10, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is this your work for #1?
    First, ##4y^3 - 4y^2 \ne 4y##. These two terms are not like terms (your textbook should have a definition), and so can't be combined.

Second, you have not done what needs to be done here. For each of the problems, 1) write it in standard form (there should be a definition of what this means in your book), and 2) state the degree of the polynomial (e.g., first degree, second degree, and so on) and the number of terms (e.g., monomial, binomial, and so on).

Also, I believe you have a typo in problem 2. It should probably be ##x^2 + x^4 - 6##. What you wrote is a polynomial equation, not a polynomial.
    Read (or reread) the section in your book that has these problems. Look for the definitions of all of the terms I wrote in italics.

6. Nov 11, 2015 #5
    Currently have nothing but a worksheet.
    Let me try that again.
    (4y^3 - 4y^2) + (3-y)

7. Nov 11, 2015 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You don't have a textbook? Did your teacher provide definitions for the terms I listed in my previous post?
    All you have done here is write parentheses around two pairs of terms, which isn't what the problem is asking for.

8. Nov 11, 2015 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know what "standard form" means? Do you know what "degree" means? If you were given these problems surely you are expected to know that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted