Adding the vectors ijk notation

In summary: A.Do the same for B and C.Then, starting at the origin, draw a line from the end of A to the end of B.Then, starting at the end of B, draw a line from the end of B to the end of C.The vector from the origin to the end of C is the resultant vector, D.So, the i hat component of D is 2m and the j hat component of D is -2m.So, D = (2i - 2j) m.In magnitude and direction, D = 2.83 m at -45°.In summary, the conversation is about adding displacement vectors in ijk notation and determining the magnitude and
CollegeStudent

Homework Statement

Add the following 3 displacement vectors and give the answer in ijk notation and in magnitude and direction format.
A = 3i - 3j m
B = i - 4j m
C = -2i + 5j m.

Then I have to do a scetch of the resultant vector...which i'll call D.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know to get vector D's i hat and j hat components...i just add the i's and j's of the vectors that make it up so

i = 3 + 1 - 2 = 2
j = -3 - 4 + 5 = -2

right?

so then to find the magnitude of D i do

√(2)² + (-2)²

which comes out to √8 which is roughly 2.83 m here

Then to find the angle i do the inverse tan of (-2/2) or -1...which comes out to -45°

Now to graph...should I find the magnitude and angle of each vector?

A = √(3)² + (-3)² = √18 = 4.24 m at -45°
B = √(1)² + (-4)² = √17 = 4.12 m at -76°
C= √(-2)² + (5)² = √29 = 5.39 m at -68°

Do I graph them just like this? Because how can the resultant vector be at the SAME angle at vector A? It would be a smaller version of vector A because the magnitude of A is >D and the angle is the same.

Can anyone point out where I'm misunderstanding this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle of the resultant vector is not 45°. In which quadrant of the XY plane is it?

The problem with arctan is that it confuses (-a)/b with a/(-b), and (-a)/(-b) with a/b. So you have to keep an eye on the signs to determine which quadrant it is, and what the angle really is.

You don't need to work out the magnitude and angle of the vectors.
For example, for A = (3i - 3j) m, the x-component is 3m and the y-component is -3m.
So, just draw a line from the origin to the point (3m, -3m)

What is the ijk notation used for in vector addition?

The ijk notation is used to represent a vector in three-dimensional space, where i represents the x-axis, j represents the y-axis, and k represents the z-axis. This notation is useful for adding vectors because it helps to keep track of the three components of a vector.

How do you add vectors using ijk notation?

To add two vectors using ijk notation, you simply add the corresponding components of each vector. For example, if you have two vectors, A = 2i + 3j + 4k and B = 5i + 2j + 1k, their sum would be A + B = (2+5)i + (3+2)j + (4+1)k = 7i + 5j + 5k.

Can you add more than two vectors using ijk notation?

Yes, you can add any number of vectors using ijk notation. The process is the same as adding two vectors - simply add the corresponding components of each vector to get the sum.

What happens when you subtract vectors using ijk notation?

When you subtract vectors using ijk notation, you simply subtract the corresponding components of each vector. For example, if you have two vectors, A = 2i + 3j + 4k and B = 5i + 2j + 1k, their difference would be A - B = (2-5)i + (3-2)j + (4-1)k = -3i + 1j + 3k.

Can ijk notation be used for vectors in any dimension?

No, ijk notation is specific to three-dimensional space. For vectors in higher dimensions, different notation may be used, such as using a subscript with the corresponding axis (e.g. x1, x2, x3 for a three-dimensional vector).