Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Addition of Complex Term in Lippmann Schwinger Equation

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    Hello PF People,

This is probably a very simple question but I don't really get it.

In Lippmann Schwinger Equation we add an infinitesimal term to the denominator in order to avoid singularity for when E is an eigenvalue of [itex]\hat{H}_0[/itex]. This is fine, but why it has to be a complex number? Adding a real constant will also save denominator from becoming singular. That confuses me.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2
    Nobody? It seemed to be a good question.

My point of view: I guess the reason is to avoid more singularities, as could be the case of continuous spectra. Knowing that the limit [itex] \epsilon \rightarrow 0 [/itex] would be the same in all directions (imaginary, real or "mixed complex")

There are no complex energies in the spectrum, so, that should be "safer".

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

The eigenvalue spectrum of H0 is continuous, all real numbers E0 > 0. In order to give meaning to the inverse operator (E - H0)-1 it is necessary to avoid the entire positive real axis. The fact that we use +iε rather than -iε has to do with the outgoing boundary conditions.

5. Feb 1, 2012 #4
    Ahh, i forgot that was indeed the free hamiltonian, then seems obvious. I have my scattering theory rusty, damn it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook