Why is an imaginary part necessary in the Lippmann-Schwinger equation?

• Thread starter Sparticle99
  • Start date
In summary, the LS-equation is derived from the Hamiltonian H=H0+V, where H and H0 have the same eigenvalues and H0 is a free Hamiltonian. The purpose of the imaginary part in the LS-equation is to ensure that the solution contains only outgoing waves. This is useful for understanding scattering theory and can be decoupled to make solutions for advanced and retarded waves. Additionally, the Transactional Interpretation provides a mathematical representation for the wave function under a time-symmetric analysis, where the solution extends to the infinite past and future.
Sparticle99
I have a question on the interpretation of the LS-equation.

[tex]\psi^{\pm} = \phi + \frac{1}{E- \mathcal{H} \pm \epsilon} V\psi^{\pm}[/tex] (1)

Deriving the equation was simply because the Hamiltonian can be written as H=H0 + V where H and H0 have the same eigenvalues and H0 is a free Hamiltonian. The equation can be written as

[tex]H_0|\phi> = E|\phi>[/tex]

So an interaction in the equation makes

[tex](H_0+V)|\psi> = E|\psi>[/tex]

Continuity states that as [tex]\psi rightarrow \phi[/tex] and [tex]V \rightarrow 0[/tex] then the solution has (E − H0) as singular. You can avoid the singularity when you assume a small part of the denominator in

[tex]\psi^{\pm} = \phi + \frac{1}{E- \mathcal{H} \pm \epsilon} V\psi^{\pm}[/tex]

was imaginary. My question is as follows: This would clearly make the Hamiltonian as negative. The solution to the equation almost derives

[tex]\psi^{\pm} = \phi + \frac{1}{E- \mathcal{H} \pm \epsilon} V\psi^{\pm}[/tex]

as an automatic solution when considering it was obtained to avoid nasty singularities. Is there any physical reason to assume the Hamiltonian has an imaginary part?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is easier to understand scattering theory in the time-dependent wave-packet formalism than going directly to the Lippmann-Schwinger equation in momentum space by the usual hand-waving arguments. A quite good discussion of this issue is given in the textbook by Messiah.

The purpose of the iε is to insure that the solution contains only outgoing waves. If you look at the matrix elements of the kernel in the coordinate representation, it is just the Green's function:

<x'|(E - H0 ± iε)-1|x"> ~ e±ip·|x'-x"|/ħ / |x'-x"|

Before obtaining the solution, it would be fair to say your Hamilatonian is by definition, complex no? I will elaborate: brb

[tex]\psi^{\pm} = \phi + \frac{1}{E- \mathcal{H} \pm i\epsilon} e\phi'\psi^{\pm}[/tex]

As has been mentioned, the imaginary part is there so that the solution will have out-going waves only. But that takes manipulatin of the L-S equation. Before a solution is sought, the integral expression the wave function expands to the infinite future and infinite past.

since [tex]\hat{\mathcal{H}}_D = \mathcal{H} + i\chi[/tex] from breaking the complex part into two descriptions as shown
before, will allow us to treat the Lippmann-Schwinger as having two solutions as well for the imaginary part of the hat-Hamiltonian.

Knowing that [tex]\chi = \chi_R + \chi_D[/tex]

Then

[tex]\hat{\mathcal{H}} = \mathcal{H} + i(\chi_R + \chi_D)[/tex]

which is making the relaxational part and the diffusive part.

[tex]\psi^{\pm} = \phi + \frac{1}{E- {\mathcal{H}}+i(\chi_R + \chi_D)} e\phi'\psi^{\pm}[/tex]

Since in the most mathematical formal definition of quantum waves desribed under a time-symmetric analysis of the wave function
in the Transactional Interpretation, the deformed wave function [tex]\psi^{\pm}[/tex] when under integration has the solution
of a wave function for the in-phase and out-phase both extending to the infinite past and infinite future. These are analgous
to understanding wave functions where one half retarded and one half advanced wave propogate into the past and the other into
the future. This means that the equation

[tex]\psi^{\pm} = \phi + \frac{1}{E- {\mathcal{H}} + i(\chi_R + \chi_D)} e\phi'\psi^{\pm}[/tex]

can be decoupled to make to solution for the advanced and retarded wave solutions. This means before messing with the Lippmann Schwinger equation, it can be used to satisfy an imaginary Hamiltonian with a wave function under the mathematical representation of the Transactional Interpretation.

Last edited:

What is the Lippmann-Schwinger equation?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation is a mathematical formula used in quantum mechanics to describe the scattering of particles or waves by a potential. It was developed by Walter Lippmann and Julian Schwinger in the 1940s.

What is the physical significance of the Lippmann-Schwinger equation?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation is significant because it allows us to calculate the probability of a particle being scattered by a potential. This is important in understanding the behavior of particles and waves in quantum systems.

What are the assumptions made in the Lippmann-Schwinger equation?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation assumes that the potential is time-independent, the scattering process is elastic, and the particles involved are non-relativistic. It also assumes that the particles do not interact with each other.

How is the Lippmann-Schwinger equation solved?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation is typically solved using numerical methods or approximation techniques. It involves solving a complex integral equation, which can be difficult to do analytically.

What are the applications of the Lippmann-Schwinger equation?

The Lippmann-Schwinger equation has many applications in various fields such as nuclear physics, quantum chemistry, and solid-state physics. It is also used in engineering to model the scattering of electromagnetic waves and particles in different materials.