Adiabat Process - with pV cycle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a heat engine that operates on a pV cycle and involves 2 moles of a diatomic gas. The problem involves finding the work done over the cycle at certain values of pressure and temperature. The equations used for calculating the work in this situation are the adiabatic equations, as described in the book "Thermal Physics" by Kittel and Kroemer. The conversation also mentions a typo in the given graph, where P is supposed to be 0.5P. The main issue in the problem is finding the unknown temperatures and volumes needed for the calculations.
hevans1303

Homework Statement

A heat engine uses 2 mole of a diatomic gas that follows the pV cycle shown, how much work is done, over the cycle if P=100kPa, T1=207K

Phys.jpg

* P is suppose to be 0.5P this was a typo on the graph

This is what I've figured out so far: (if i am incorrect on anything please let me know)

W1→2 = 0

W2→3=nRΔT
So it would look like:
(2)(5/2)(8.31)(?-207)
The problem is i can't figure out how to find the other tempurature

W3→1=nRTln(v2/v1)
So it would look like this
(2)(8.31)(207)ln(?/?)
I don't understand how to get the volumes in this problem all the other problems i have had have given me a volume.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no heat transfer between the system and its surroundings. This means that the energy of the system remains constant, and any change in temperature is solely due to work being done on or by the system.

2. How does an adiabatic process differ from an isothermal process?

In an isothermal process, the temperature of the system remains constant, while in an adiabatic process, the energy of the system remains constant. This means that in an isothermal process, heat is exchanged between the system and its surroundings, while in an adiabatic process, there is no heat transfer.

3. What is a pV cycle in an adiabatic process?

A pV cycle, also known as a pressure-volume cycle, is a graphical representation of the changes in pressure and volume of a system during an adiabatic process. The pV cycle is typically represented as a closed loop on a pV diagram, with the area inside the loop representing the work done by or on the system.

4. What is the equation for an adiabatic process?

The equation for an adiabatic process is given by PVγ = constant, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, and γ is the ratio of specific heats for the system. This equation is known as the adiabatic equation of state and can be used to calculate the final state of a system undergoing an adiabatic process.

5. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic processes?

Some examples of adiabatic processes in real life include the compression and expansion of gases in car engines, the expansion of air in a bicycle pump, and the compression of air in a scuba tank. Additionally, weather phenomena such as thunderstorms and tornadoes can also be considered adiabatic processes.