Adiabatic process - Diesel engine

In summary, a diesel engine does not require a spark plug because the air inside is compressed to a high degree, causing the fuel to spontaneously ignite when injected. To determine the final temperature before fuel injection, we can use the equation TV^(gamma-1) = k, where T is temperature, V is volume, and gamma is the specific heat ratio of air. Using this equation, we can calculate the final temperature to be 866K. Additionally, the pressure in the cylinder increases by a factor of approximately 44 times.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

A diesel engine requires no spark plug. The air in a cylinder is compressed so
highly that the fuel spontaneously ignites when sprayed into cylinder. If the air is
initially at 20°C and is then compressed by a factor of 15 in volume, what final
temperature is attained (before fuel injection)? Assume the compression is adiabatic,
and treat the air as an ideal gas. Take delta = 1.4 for air. By what factor does the
pressure increase?

Homework Equations

PV^ delta = constant
TV ^delta-1 = constant.
Delta = Cp/Cv.

Internal energy = Work done.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am totally lost with this problem, I know what an adiabatic process is, how to derive the delta, etc but I can't seem to match that with the above question.

Any tips ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have got an idea...
We know TV^delta -1 = constant...
Could I use the following relation :
T1 V1 ^delta -1 = T2 V2 ^delta-1 To get my t2 value?No that doesn't seem right...

How about this :
T[itex]V^{\gamma-1}[/itex] = k.

So if I plug in my initial temperature value as : 293.15 k and volume assumed to be at 1 , that will give me a value = k.

For the final temperature:
[itex]T_{2}[/itex][itex]V^{\gamma-1}[/itex] = k
so t2 * (1/15)^ 1.4-1 = 5863/20
which gives me t2 = 866k.

=] ?

Last edited:
Your answer is correct. Assume isentropic so exponent is specific heat ration. Your equation is:

T2/T1 = (V1/v2)^(k-1)

You know the volume ratio, T1, and you know k.

lawrencec said:
your answer is correct. Assume isentropic so exponent is specific heat ration. Your equation is:

T2/t1 = (v1/v2)^(k-1)

you know the volume ratio, t1, and you know k.

thanks you very much! : ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Also at the end of the question it asks by how much factor has hte pressure risen.. which according to my calculations is ~ 44 times.

Is this correct too ?

Yes, that is what I get for two significant figures.

Thanks for your help! :))

1. What is an adiabatic process in a diesel engine?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no heat transfer between the system and its surroundings. In a diesel engine, this means that the air-fuel mixture is compressed without any heat loss, leading to a higher temperature and pressure in the combustion chamber.

2. How does an adiabatic process work in a diesel engine?

In a diesel engine, the air-fuel mixture is compressed by the piston, causing an increase in temperature and pressure. This increase in energy is then used to ignite the fuel, creating a controlled explosion that powers the engine.

3. What is the purpose of an adiabatic process in a diesel engine?

The purpose of an adiabatic process in a diesel engine is to increase the temperature and pressure of the air-fuel mixture, which leads to a more efficient combustion. This results in better fuel efficiency and more power output from the engine.

4. What are the advantages of using an adiabatic process in a diesel engine?

Using an adiabatic process in a diesel engine allows for better fuel efficiency, increased power output, and reduced emissions. It also allows for a more controlled combustion process, leading to a smoother and more reliable engine performance.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using an adiabatic process in a diesel engine?

One potential drawback of an adiabatic process in a diesel engine is that it can lead to higher temperatures and pressures, which can put more stress on the engine components. This can result in increased wear and tear over time, potentially leading to a shorter lifespan of the engine.