Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adjective term of pertaining to a non-Earth moon

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1
    Sorry I know this may seem banal but it's really bugging me. I'm making space scenes of made up solar systems in a 3d modelling program and I want to name one "a ~ transit".

If it was a generic planet, I could call it a planetary transit, or if it was OUR moon, I could call it a Lunar transit... but what the Dickens am I meant to use for a moon that is not of Earth?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2012 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi EBENEZR! :smile:

I think you're stuck with "lunar". :redface:
  4. Nov 1, 2012 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Natural sattelite sounds promising.
  5. Nov 1, 2012 #4
    I may be, I just think it's a little misleading as lunar specifically relates to our moon through mythological references.

That's fine for a noun, but it seems a little clumsy for an adjective 'A lunar transit'/'a natural satellite transit'. I mean if that's the word, then there's nothing I can do, it seems surprising that an unnamed non earth moon hasn't got its own adjective. I may have to make one up.
  6. Nov 2, 2012 #5
    Satellitic. It's not a word, but that hasn't stopped people from using it. (www.wordnik.com/words/satellitic) Think of it as being on the cutting edge of etymology.
  7. Nov 2, 2012 #6
    "Cutting edge of etymology" - haha! As a language lover this turn of phrase made me laugh. I'm going to use it too.
  8. Nov 3, 2012 #7

2015 Award

Staff: Mentor

"a moon transit"?
  9. Nov 4, 2012 #8
    I don't think that makes sense grammatically though, like how "a planet transit" doesn't.
  10. Nov 4, 2012 #9

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Attributive use of nouns is grammatically correct, afaik:

You don't use "planet transit" for the simple reason that an equivalent adjective "planetary" is available.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  11. Nov 4, 2012 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Moonary? Hmmmm.
  12. Nov 7, 2012 #11
    Interesting, thanks! I'm just surprised that one hasn't come up, when you consider almost every named moon and planet in the solar system has a denonym or adjectival term, you'd think simply "moon" would be one of the first to have its own. Ho hum.
  13. Nov 7, 2012 #12

Staff: Mentor

Moonar transit. There, problem solved!
  14. Nov 7, 2012 #13

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The new, cutting-edge, prescription-free, satellitic adjective straight from PF's linguistic skunkworks! Coming to your 'hood this November.

Warning: overuse side effects might include production of unintelligible sentences, causing blank stares, and development of severe gibberish.

Keep away from children and prescriptive linguists.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  15. Nov 15, 2012 #14
    In the movie Red Planet, Val Kilmer ("space janitor"), exprssed the same discomfort while viewing Phobos from the surface of Mars. Fun movie, check it out.
  16. Nov 15, 2012 #15
    I was leaning towards "moonetary" transit. Sounds more pecuniary that way.
  17. Nov 16, 2012 #16
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?