Adjoint of Schrodinger Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the adjoint of the time evolution operator in Schroedinger's equation, which should be the same as the equation itself. However, it is not and the reason has to do with the negative sign that appears in the time evolution operator. This is due to the differentiation operator not being a true operator on the Hilbert space of functions of position.
catsarebad
I'm missing something obvious so please point out what I'm thinking wrong

SE equation is:

ih d/dt |
19df1c2726ed43128440c1157f72a937.png
> = H|
>

the taking adjoint turns i -> -i and (d/dt) -> -(d/dt)

so adjoint of SE should be same as SE

however it isn't. adjoint of SE is

-ih d/dt |
> = H|
>

do we not take adjoint of d/dt, if so, why not? the adjoint of d/dt is -d/dt, no?

thanks a bunch in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its a bit tricky because the time evolution operator T has a negative sign in it ie is e^(-iHt) (in units h bar =1 for simplicity) . That way you get a minus sign when you take the derivative.

The reason has to do with the sign that appears when you look at them as generators and you can find the gory detail in Chapter 3 of Ballentine:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810241054/?tag=pfamazon01-20

In particular have a look at page 77 where the velocity operator is introduced in equation 3.37. Chug through the math and you end up with the form of the time evolution operator with the negative sign which leads to Schroedinger's equation - equation 3.38.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
d/dt is not a true operator, so you can' talk about its adjoint (provided it exists).

dextercioby said:
d/dt is not a true operator, so you can' talk about its adjoint (provided it exists).

elaborate please. why is this not a true operator?

I know adjoint of d/dx is -d/dx. i found it on net and book.

catsarebad said:

States are generally considered to reside in a Hilbert space, which are Lebesgue square integrable functions. Such functions are not always differentiable so the differentiation operator does not exist for all elements of the space.

There are ways around it, using what are Rigged Hilbert Spaces is probably the most common.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
States are generally considered to reside in a Hilbert space, which are Lebesgue square integrable functions. Such functions are not always differentiable so the differentiation operator does not exist for all elements of the space.

There are ways around it, using what are Rigged Hilbert Spaces is probably the most common.

Thanks
Bill

Hmm, I feel like the reason that [itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex] isn't a true operator is different from the reason that [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] isn't a true operator. It's not about square-integrability.

In the usual way that non-relativistic QM is done, the Hilbert space is a space of functions of position alone. A basis is complete if you can construct any square-integrable function of position. But time is treated differently. In the treatments I've seen, there is no comparable notion of completeness with respect to functions of time.

catsarebad said:

I know adjoint of d/dx is -d/dx. i found it on net and book.

When people are talking about "adjoints" they are talking about operators on the Hilbert space. The Hilbert space is a space of functions of position, not position and time. So [itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex] is not an operator on the Hilbert space. It is certainly a meaningful operator on functions on spacetime, but it isn't a meaningful operator on functions of space, which is what the elements of the Hilbert space are.

1. What is the adjoint of the Schrodinger Equation?

The adjoint of the Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical concept that is used to represent the complex conjugate of the Schrodinger Equation. It is used to solve for the time evolution of a quantum system and is an important tool in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the adjoint of the Schrodinger Equation related to the Hermitian conjugate?

The adjoint of the Schrodinger Equation is closely related to the Hermitian conjugate, as they are both used to represent the complex conjugate of an operator. However, the adjoint is specifically used to represent the complex conjugate of the Schrodinger Equation, while the Hermitian conjugate can be applied to any operator in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the adjoint of the Schrodinger Equation in quantum mechanics?

The adjoint of the Schrodinger Equation is an important tool in quantum mechanics as it allows for the calculation of probabilities and observables in quantum systems. It is also used in the derivation of the time evolution of a quantum system.

4. How is the adjoint of the Schrodinger Equation represented in mathematical notation?

The adjoint of the Schrodinger Equation is typically represented by a dagger symbol, denoted as †. This symbol is often used to represent the complex conjugate of a mathematical expression or operator.

5. Can the adjoint of the Schrodinger Equation be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, the adjoint of the Schrodinger Equation can be applied to all quantum systems, as it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It is used to represent the time evolution of a quantum system and can be applied to a wide range of physical systems, from single particles to complex molecules.