Adjoint representation vs the adjoint of a matrix

In summary, the adjoint representation of an abstract Lie group is defined through the conjugation map and is related to the adjoint of a matrix, but there are some differences between the two. While the adjoint of a matrix involves transposing and taking the complex conjugate, the adjoint representation of an abstract Lie group involves the pushforward of the conjugation map. Additionally, the adjoint of a matrix is a map in End(V*) while the adjoint representation is a map in GL(\mathfrak{g}).
center o bass
In my limited study of abstract Lie groups, I have come across the adjoint representation ##Ad: G \to GL(\mathfrak{g})## on the lie algebra ##\matfrak{g}##. It is defined through the conjugation map ##C_g(h) = ghg^{-1}## as the pushforward ##C_{g*}|_{g=e}: \mathfrak{g} \to \mathfrak{g}##.

Does this bear any relation to that one would call the adjoint of a matrix? I.e. the operation where one transposes and takes the complex conjugate?

Physics news on Phys.org
I a not sure, but I would think the answer is no, at least not in the case of groups since when A a V (finite-dim. since we are using matrices)in the target space , i.e., A is in GL(V) , then A^T is a map in End(V*) , not in GL(V).

1. What is the difference between an adjoint representation and the adjoint of a matrix?

An adjoint representation is a type of representation in group theory that maps a group onto the space of linear transformations of a vector space. It is denoted by Ad(g), where g is an element of the group. On the other hand, the adjoint of a matrix is the transpose of its cofactor matrix, and is denoted by adj(A). The main difference is that the adjoint representation is defined for a group, while the adjoint of a matrix is defined for a specific matrix.

2. How are the adjoint representation and the adjoint of a matrix related?

The adjoint representation of a group can be thought of as a generalization of the adjoint of a matrix. This is because, for a group that has a matrix representation, the adjoint of the matrix is equivalent to the adjoint representation of that group. In other words, the adjoint representation is a special case of the adjoint of a matrix.

3. What are the properties of the adjoint representation?

The adjoint representation has several important properties, including being linear, preserving the group structure, and being an isomorphism. Additionally, the adjoint representation satisfies the adjoint identity, which states that Ad(g₁)∘Ad(g₂) = Ad(g₁⋅g₂), where g₁ and g₂ are elements of the group.

4. How is the adjoint representation used in physics?

In physics, the adjoint representation is used to study the symmetries of physical systems. This is because symmetries in physics are often described by group theory, and the adjoint representation allows for a mathematical understanding of these symmetries. Additionally, the adjoint representation is used in the study of gauge theories, which are fundamental to many areas of physics.

5. What is the significance of the adjoint representation in mathematics?

The adjoint representation is an important tool in the study of representation theory, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the algebraic structures of groups. It is also used in the study of Lie algebras, which are important in many areas of mathematics, including differential geometry and topology. Additionally, the adjoint representation has applications in areas such as quantum mechanics and number theory.