Confusion about the definition of adjoint representation and roots.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
AlbertEi
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I'm getting a bit confused about the adjoint representation. I learned about Lie algrebras using the book by Howard Georgi (i.e. it is very "physics-like" and we did not distinguish between the abstract approach to group theory and the matrix approach to group theory). He defines the adjoint as follows:

\begin{equation}
[T_a]_{bc} = i f_{abc} T_c
\end{equation}

where $T_i$ are the generators and $f_abc$ are the structure constants. This definition clearly means that matrix in the adjoint representation must have the same amount of dimensions as there are generators. However, recently I have reading some papers where they talk about the adjoint representation of for instance the Higgs field $\phi$ as follows:

\begin{equation}
\phi=\phi^a T^a
\end{equation}

with the following transformation properties:

\begin{equation}
\phi \mapsto g \phi g^{-1}
\end{equation}

where the generators do not necessarily have to be of the same dimensions as the number of generators. I understand that this basically just means that $\phi$ always takes values in the Lie algebra, but I think it is really odd that two very different properties of the Lie algebra have been given the same name. My confusion even grows further when they discuss roots/weight. More specifically, are the eigenvalues of the latter generators called roots or weights?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The development is as follows (##G## Lie group, ##\mathfrak{g}## Lie algebra, left-invariant vector fields, tangent space):
##G## operates on itself via ##g.h := ghg^{-1}##
##G## operates on its tangent space ##\mathfrak{g}## by the induced operation: ##g.X:=gXg^{-1}=\operatorname{Ad}(g)(X)##
##\mathfrak{g}## operates on itself by the per differentiation induced operation: ##X.Y:=[X,Y]=XY-YX=\mathfrak{ad}(X)(Y)##
The latter operations are called adjoint operations of the Lie group, resp. the Lie algebra. So the adjoint representation of the Lie algebra on itself is just the left multiplication in the algebra.

Compare:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pantheon-derivatives-part-iv/https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/journey-manifold-su2mathbbc-part/https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/lie-algebras-a-walkthrough-the-basics/