Advanced Calculus is usable in physics?

In summary: Skimming through the contents, I don't think it would be a waste of time to read it. People seem to really like it.
Andreol263
I was searching in amazon, where i found a book which have very good comments about him, called Loomis & Sternberg's Advanced Calculus, I'm already reading this book, and from what i seen, i liked :), this book will help me in physics, or will be desnecessary, that basic calculus is good??, and in the comments I've seen that this is like a brief introduction to real analysis and some of differential geometry, what you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're going to study physics, you're going to need advanced calculus.

Andreol263 said:
I was searching in amazon, where i found a book which have very good comments about him, called Loomis & Sternberg's Advanced Calculus, I'm already reading this book, and from what i seen, i liked :), this book will help me in physics, or will be desnecessary, that basic calculus is good??, and in the comments I've seen that this is like a brief introduction to real analysis and some of differential geometry, what you guys think?

The books formalism is probably unnecessary for most. That said if you enjoy reading it, go for it.

Skimming through the contents I'd say it's probably overly mathematical for general purposes. Once you have a solid grasp on the computational aspects of calculus (single, multivariable and vector), and some background in matrix algebra and differential equations it might be a somewhat enlightening read to understand thing from a more formal viewpoint.

Andreol263 said:

It will not be necessary for most fields of physics. But if you're thinking of going into something very theoretical, it might be useful.

1. How is Advanced Calculus used in physics?

Advanced Calculus is used in physics to model and analyze physical systems using mathematical equations and functions. It helps in understanding the behavior of particles and systems in motion, as well as in predicting the outcomes of experiments and observations.

2. What are some specific applications of Advanced Calculus in physics?

Some specific applications of Advanced Calculus in physics include the use of differential equations to describe the motion of particles and waves, the use of vector calculus to analyze forces and fields, and the use of calculus of variations to find the optimal path of a particle or system.

3. How does Advanced Calculus relate to other branches of mathematics in physics?

Advanced Calculus is closely related to other branches of mathematics in physics, such as linear algebra, differential geometry, and complex analysis. These branches of mathematics provide additional tools and techniques for solving complex problems in physics using Advanced Calculus.

4. Is Advanced Calculus necessary for understanding physics?

While a basic understanding of Calculus is necessary for studying physics, Advanced Calculus is not always required. However, it can greatly enhance one's understanding of complex physical systems and allow for more accurate predictions and analyses.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using Advanced Calculus in physics?

One drawback of using Advanced Calculus in physics is that it can sometimes lead to overly complex and abstract models, which may not accurately reflect real-world phenomena. It is important to carefully consider and validate the assumptions and limitations of any mathematical model before applying it to a physical system.