1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced Calculus is usable in physics?

1. Aug 1, 2015 #1
    I was searching in amazon, where i found a book which have very good comments about him, called Loomis & Sternberg's Advanced Calculus, i'm already reading this book, and from what i seen, i liked :), this book will help me in physics, or will be desnecessary, that basic calculus is good??, and in the comments i've seen that this is like a brief introduction to real analysis and some of differential geometry, what you guys think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2015 #2
    If you're going to study physics, you're going to need advanced calculus.

4. Aug 1, 2015 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The books formalism is probably unnecessary for most. That said if you enjoy reading it, go for it.

5. Aug 2, 2015 #4
    Skimming through the contents I'd say it's probably overly mathematical for general purposes. Once you have a solid grasp on the computational aspects of calculus (single, multivariable and vector), and some background in matrix algebra and differential equations it might be a somewhat enlightening read to understand thing from a more formal viewpoint.

6. Aug 2, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It will not be necessary for most fields of physics. But if you're thinking of going into something very theoretical, it might be useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook