Books like J. Callahan's Advanced Calculus: A geometric view

In summary, the conversation was about finding books that explain the geometrical intuition behind mathematical concepts, particularly in subjects like vector calculus, differential geometry, and topology. Recommendations were made for "Linear Algebra through Geometry" by Serge Lang and "Topology" by Klaus Jänich, which were praised for their visual and geometric approach. Other suggestions included "Visual Complex Analysis" by Tristan Needham and "Calculus on Manifolds" by Michael Spivak.
Joker93
Hello,
do you know of any books similar in style to Callahan's Advanced Calculus book(a book that explains the geometrical intuition behind the math)?
This goes for any subject in mathematics(but especially for subjects like vector calculus, differential geometry, topology).
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you tag differential geometry with you question? Anyway you might be interested in Linear Algebra through Geometry : https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387975861/?tag=pfamazon01-20 although I haven't worked through it myself, I only heard about it. You can give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
NathanaelNolk said:
Why did you tag differential geometry with you question? Anyway you might be interested in Linear Algebra through Geometry : https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387975861/?tag=pfamazon01-20 although I haven't worked through it myself, I only heard about it. You can give it a try.
Cause in my question I states "especially for subjects like vector calculus, differential geometry, topology".
Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my bad, then allow me to add Jänich's superb book on Topology. It is highly visual and geometric. His approach of metric spaces is just great, but you'll need to get exercises elsewhere.

Likes Joker93

1. What makes J. Callahan's Advanced Calculus: A geometric view different from other calculus books?

One of the main differences is the emphasis on a geometric approach to understanding calculus concepts. This book also includes numerous visual aids and real-world examples to help students grasp the material more easily.

2. Is this book suitable for all levels of calculus students?

This book is geared towards advanced calculus students, typically those who have already completed a basic calculus course. It may be challenging for beginners, but can serve as a valuable resource for those looking to deepen their understanding of the subject.

3. Are there any prerequisites for using this book?

A strong foundation in basic calculus concepts, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals, is recommended before using this book. Some knowledge of linear algebra and multivariable calculus may also be helpful.

4. How does this book incorporate modern technology and tools?

The book provides access to online resources, such as interactive applets and animations, to enhance the learning experience. It also includes exercises that require the use of graphing calculators or computer software for visualization and problem-solving.

5. What sets this book apart from other advanced calculus textbooks?

Apart from its focus on a geometric approach, this book also offers a comprehensive and in-depth coverage of topics such as vector calculus, differential forms, and multivariable calculus. It also includes challenging exercises and problems to help students develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.