Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced numerical solution of differential equation

1. Apr 10, 2014 #1
    Show that the explicit Runge-Kutta scheme
    \begin{equation} \frac {y_{n+1} -y_{n}}{h}= \frac{1}{2} [f(t,y_{n} + f(t+h, y_{n}+hk_{1})]
    \end{equation}
    where $k_{1} = f(t,y_{n})$

applied to the equation $y'= y(1-y)$ has two spurious fixed points if $h>2$.

Briefy describe how you would investigate their stability.

=> my attempt so far
    from $y'= y(1-y)$

$y'= 0$

$y=0$ or
    $y=1$ which are the true fixed points.
    after that i rearranged the runge kutta scheme
    \begin{equation} \frac {y_{n+1} -y_{n}}{h}= \frac{1}{2} [f(t,y_{n} + f(t+h, y_{n}+hk_{1})]
    \end{equation}
    \begin{equation} y_{n+1} = y_{n} + \frac{h}{2} [f(t,y_{n} + f(t+h, y_{n}+hf(t,y_{n})]
    \end{equation}
    i try to put the fixed points into above scheme and try to get two two Spurious fixed point for $y_{n}$ but i got struck. for the stability to describe i need to get two Spurious fixed point first. but in general please help to describe stability too because this part i really get confuse. Anyone please help me, it will be really helpful for my other problems too if i got this answer correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Your [itex]f(t,y)[/itex] doesn't actually depend on [itex]t[/itex], so you may as well drop it and write [itex]f(y) = y(1 - y)[/itex].

A fixed point of the iteration will satisfy [itex]y_{n+1} = y_n = y[/itex], which gives you
    [tex]
    0 = f(y + f(y + hf(y))).
    [/tex] Now for [itex]y = 0[/itex] and [itex]y = 1[/itex] you have [itex]f(y) = 0[/itex], so they satisfy the above and are fixed points of the iteration. But [itex]f(y + f(y + hf(y)))[/itex] is here an eighth-order polynomial in [itex]y[/itex], so it might have other real roots aside from [itex]y = 0[/itex] and [itex]y = 1[/itex]. But determining that really requires the aid of a CAS.

For stability: a fixed point [itex]y[/itex] of [itex]y_{n+1} = g(y_n)[/itex] is stable if [itex]|g'(y)| < 1[/itex], unstable if [itex]|g'(y)| > 1[/itex] and indeterminate at linear order if [itex]|g'(y)| = 1[/itex].

4. Apr 10, 2014 #3
    Thank you sir. that was really helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook