Advice and what to consider when choosing a graduate program

In summary, the person is seeking advice on choosing between two graduate schools that offer equal funding and have reputable advisors. They are asking for important factors to consider, and one suggestion is to look into networking opportunities and past students' success in publishing and career placement. Quality of life at the school may also be a deciding factor.
ggb123
Hi everybody,

Like many people at the moment, I'm in the position of having to choose where I'm going to go to graduate school for a PhD. I'm contemplating two different schools. The first school is my undergrad institution, where I would work with a well known and influential advisor that I've really enjoyed working with in the past. The second is a very reputable school, which I'm sure I'd have no trouble finding a good advisor at. Both have offered me roughly equal funding (when taking cost of living into account), so finances are not an issue.

I realize that I have to make this decision myself, so my question is really this: what were/are the most important factors that you took into account when choosing your graduate program?

Physics news on Phys.org
Having recently found myself in the same situation and just having made this decision, I feel qualified to respond:

If funding and cost of living is the same, the personal impression of the faculty was the same, and you like both fields of research in both schools equally, I would look into networking possibilities that each department has. Where did the past students from potential advisors end up, particularly in recent years? How much and how early did they manage to publish? If even that is the same among both schools, another tie-breaker could be the quality life at the school, a question to ask yourself is 'can I see myself living here for ~5 years even if I wasn't a grad student?'

What factors should I consider when choosing a graduate program?

When choosing a graduate program, it is important to consider factors such as the reputation and ranking of the program, the faculty and their research interests, the program's curriculum and coursework, available resources and funding opportunities, and location and cost of living.

Should I choose a program based on its prestige?

Prestige should not be the sole determining factor when choosing a graduate program. While a prestigious program may offer more resources and opportunities, it may not necessarily be the best fit for your research interests and career goals. It is important to also consider factors such as faculty and curriculum when making your decision.

How important is the faculty in a graduate program?

The faculty in a graduate program play a crucial role in your academic and professional development. It is important to research the faculty and their research interests to ensure they align with your own. Additionally, having supportive and knowledgeable faculty can greatly enhance your graduate experience.

What should I look for in a graduate program's curriculum?

When considering a graduate program's curriculum, it is important to look for a balance of core coursework in your field of study as well as opportunities for electives and specialized courses. You should also consider if the program offers hands-on research experience and opportunities for internships or practical training.

How important is location when choosing a graduate program?

The location of a graduate program can play a significant role in your overall experience. Consider factors such as cost of living, access to resources and research opportunities, and the potential for networking and future job opportunities. It is important to choose a location that aligns with your personal and professional goals.