Advice needed for producing a water powered car model project

aliiiaaa_x
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: We were tasked to create a water powered car for a project for engineering design and the main specifications is as follows, it must hold 0.7L a min of water. For the first run it must move as far as possible with 0.5L of water and then on the second run it must be able to move between 3 to 5 m with an unlimited amount of water

So far we created two designs. The first design was a three CD wheel car. The back wheels had a water wheel and a sort of funnel to pressurize the water onto the wheel to make the back wheels turn to turn the front wheel but the water wheel was not moving when water was released onto it. It also did not have sufficient storage as water was released to push the car
The second design i lifted the waterwheel, and created a separate axle for the back wheel, adding another front wheel so there are 4 wheels in total. I created a sort of a pulley conveyor belt system where if the waterwheel turns, the first pulley turns with it and therefore the second pulley turns the back wheels making the car move.
But the waterwheel on turns without the belt and with the belt the back wheels do not move.

Please help. We have this project due on wed and we have no solutions working as yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Can you apply air or elastic pressure to the water, say in a balloon, or is gravity only permitted.

For maximum potential energy, raise the water reservoir, while keeping the water wheel low. Release the exhaust water backwards, (as a positive thrust).

Drive only one wheel or axle.
Avoid flat or 'v' belt drive, use a chain, stepped belt.

Provide a link to the rules of the game.

Likes MatinSAR and russ_watters
If another energy source is used, I must be able to prove that the produced energy is greater than the initial energy, I've enclosed the rules if you would please kindly assist.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231015-121515_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20231015-121515_Office.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20231015-121506_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20231015-121506_Office.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Skeptical
Likes Bystander
Since it was due on Wednesday (2 days ago), can you say how you did? What did the winning car look like?

Likes MatinSAR
berkeman said:
Since it was due on Wednesday (2 days ago), can you say how you did? What did the winning car look like?
It moved 2.5m on the first run and 3m on the second, it was quite a marvel, my teammate had incorporated some of the previous designs we did and created this.
Screenshot_20231021-080428_Drive.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Tom.G, berkeman and Bystander

1. How does a water powered car model work?

A water powered car model uses the process of electrolysis to separate water into its two components: hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen is then used as fuel for the car's engine, producing energy and powering the car.

2. What materials do I need to build a water powered car model?

To build a water powered car model, you will need a small electric motor, a battery, wires, a small container for water, and two electrodes (such as stainless steel or graphite). You may also need a small amount of baking soda to act as an electrolyte.

3. How can I improve the efficiency of my water powered car model?

There are a few ways to improve the efficiency of a water powered car model. One is to use a more powerful motor or a larger battery. Another is to use a more efficient design for the electrodes, such as using a larger surface area or using a different material. You can also experiment with the amount of baking soda used as an electrolyte.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a water powered car model?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when building a water powered car model. Make sure to work in a well-ventilated area and be careful when handling the battery and wires. It is also important to use caution when using electricity and to follow all instructions carefully.

5. Can I use any type of water for my water powered car model?

Distilled water is the best type of water to use for a water powered car model, as it does not contain any impurities that could interfere with the electrolysis process. However, you can also use tap water, as long as it is not too hard or contains a high level of minerals.