Advice on getting involved in department

• Thread starter jaska22
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a junior in college who transferred from a 2-year college to a university. They took extra classes at the 2-year college to prepare for studying physics, causing them to stay an extra year after getting their associate degree. Now, they still have two more years to complete for their BS in physics. They are interested in getting involved in research, but feel they don't have enough background knowledge and are unsure of what area to focus on. They are also shy and have not been very active in the Society of Physics meetings. They are wondering where to start and if one undergraduate research project is enough to get into graduate school. They are also curious about the time commitment for research and how many classes they can take
jaska22
I have a question regarding getting involved in the physics department. In spring '08 I transferred from a 2-year college to University. I ridiculously spent time taking some classes at 2-year college to decide what to study and ended up staying extra 1 year after associate degree. Reason for staying was that I decided for Physics and wanted to take extra classes that I needed for Physics before I transfer since it was cheaper. Now, I'm at the University and now after one semester I still have to stay 2 more years since all I have left is physics classes and they are most prerequisits for each others. It looks like it will take me almost six years to graduate with BS alltogether, but I was undecided at the beginning and now I'm paying for it. So, that is background, but my question is that I want to get involved but don't have too much background since so far I was able to take Intorductory Mechanics and Electromagnetism so far only, one at 2yr college and other at University. So since I'm not so knowledgeable in physics as I didn't take many classes I feel like I wouldn't be good in any research areas, but since I'm junior now, think I should start with doing some research. I thought of going to professors to talk to them but since I didn't do so well in Electromagnetism (hard prof. with 25% being the average on all exams) I feel that I can't explain myself and advising professor is the one I had for the electromagnetism class. I want to talk to him but I'm not sure what I am specifically interested in. They have research in High Energy, Atomic Physics, Astrophysics, Condensed Matter, but I don't know much about those to just dive in and I expect they wouldn't be much interested in including me since I can't contribute much. Plus on top of this I am a very very shy person and didn't really go to Society of Physics meeting even though I am a member on national level for over a year now. I want to know where to start now? I will start the SPS meetings with the beginning of this semester, but what else? I am thinking of starting a research next year or even maybe next summer. I have one required Undergrad Research to do for BS, but is only one enough to get considered for Graduate school in the end, since I see many people do multiple of those before they finish BS in physics? I expect to be advanced by the end of this fall and spring '09 semesters and want to get into research? Also, when you do start with research within the department how much time does it take, and how many classes can you take at the same time, or does research take most of your time?

Physics news on Phys.org
jaska22 said:
I have a question regarding getting involved in the physics department. In spring '08 I transferred from a 2-year college to University. I ridiculously spent time taking some classes at 2-year college to decide what to study and ended up staying extra 1 year after associate degree. Reason for staying was that I decided for Physics and wanted to take extra classes that I needed for Physics before I transfer since it was cheaper. Now, I'm at the University and now after one semester I still have to stay 2 more years since all I have left is physics classes and they are most prerequisits for each others.

It looks like it will take me almost six years to graduate with BS alltogether, but I was undecided at the beginning and now I'm paying for it. So, that is background, but my question is that I want to get involved but don't have too much background since so far I was able to take Intorductory Mechanics and Electromagnetism so far only, one at 2yr college and other at University. So since I'm not so knowledgeable in physics as I didn't take many classes I feel like I wouldn't be good in any research areas, but since I'm junior now, think I should start with doing some research. I thought of going to professors to talk to them but since I didn't do so well in Electromagnetism (hard prof. with 25% being the average on all exams)

I feel that I can't explain myself and advising professor is the one I had for the electromagnetism class. I want to talk to him but I'm not sure what I am specifically interested in. They have research in High Energy, Atomic Physics, Astrophysics, Condensed Matter, but I don't know much about those to just dive in and I expect they wouldn't be much interested in including me since I can't contribute much. Plus on top of this I am a very very shy person and didn't really go to Society of Physics meeting even though I am a member on national level for over a year now.

I want to know where to start now? I will start the SPS meetings with the beginning of this semester, but what else? I am thinking of starting a research next year or even maybe next summer. I have one required Undergrad Research to do for BS, but is only one enough to get considered for Graduate school in the end, since I see many people do multiple of those before they finish BS in physics? I expect to be advanced by the end of this fall and spring '09 semesters and want to get into research? Also, when you do start with research within the department how much time does it take, and how many classes can you take at the same time, or does research take most of your time?
You should really learn how to paragraph your post for easy reading. It might turn others off from giving you advice.

I'm sorry about that, I just got cought up into writing.

What are the benefits of getting involved in my department as a scientist?

Getting involved in your department as a scientist can have numerous benefits. It can provide you with opportunities for networking, collaboration, and professional development. It can also help you stay up-to-date with the latest research and advancements in your field.

How can I find opportunities to get involved in my department as a scientist?

One way to find opportunities is to regularly check your department's website or bulletin board for any announcements or events. You can also reach out to your colleagues or department head for recommendations or join any relevant professional organizations to stay informed about opportunities.

What are some ways to make a meaningful contribution to my department as a scientist?

There are many ways to contribute to your department, such as participating in research projects, organizing or presenting at department seminars or conferences, or volunteering for committees or outreach programs. You can also share your expertise and knowledge by mentoring or collaborating with other scientists in your department.

How can getting involved in my department help advance my career as a scientist?

Being involved in your department can help you build a strong professional network, gain experience and skills, and increase your visibility within the scientific community. These can all contribute to your career advancement by opening up opportunities for collaborations, publications, and promotions.

What are some potential challenges of getting involved in my department as a scientist?

One potential challenge could be finding the time to balance your involvement with your other responsibilities, such as research and teaching. Another challenge could be navigating different personalities and dynamics within your department. It's important to communicate openly and set boundaries to manage these challenges effectively.