1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice on Linear Algebra and Discrete Math.

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    Hello guys, I will be taking Linear Algebra (Intro.) and Discrete Math in the Fall. I heard that these two courses are different from the Calculus sequence. I am afraid since I am not good with proofs. Will I be able to do well as long as I put in the time? Can you guys give me an advice so I can do well?

Also, I am thinking of doing a Math major. I have not been exposed to proof writing. Is it really a different animal? How should I prepare? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2
    Most people find Discrete easy. However, I had a terrible time in it, so it really depends on the person. I have observed anecdotally that some people have an affinity for discrete math, and others for continuous math like calculus and Differential equations. Usually not both.

Also, Linear Algebra can be really easy or really hard, depending on your prof. I didn't learn much in Linear 1, but still got an A. It wasn't until Linear 2 that I really began to understand and appreciate linear algebra. It was one of my most fulfilling classes in college.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook