Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice on possible nuclear contamination

  1. Sep 25, 2016 #1

    DGR

    User Avatar

    Hi, I have recently received a guitar direct from a private seller in Japan and have noticed a metallic taste in my mouth when coming into close proximity to the instrument. I am looking for advice on whether it may be radio-active and if so the level of contamination.
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2

    Fervent Freyja

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    It's possible that you have been inhaling Mercury vapor. Although likely rare, it isn't unheard of for industrial processes to contaminate products with Mercury.

    http://patient.info/doctor/heavy-metal-poisoning

    Please contact the local poison control with your concerns. You should visit a doctor immediately for testing of heavy metal poisoning, it could be Lead, but more likely Mercury.
     
  4. Sep 26, 2016 #3

    mfb

    User Avatar
    2016 Award

    Staff: Mentor

    It is not radioactivity. Customs has sensitive radiation detectors, and there is no plausible way how a guitar could become so radioactive that you could directly note it.
    A chemical contamination with heavy metals might be possible.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted