Agree or Disagree? Analyzing Wave Amplitudes

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about two statements that seem to conflict regarding the value of A in a standing wave. The first statement refers to A as the initial amplitude before constructive interference, while the second statement refers to A as the resultant amplitude of the standing wave. The understanding is that A is actually 2A, as mentioned in the first sentence of the extract.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1682629098130.png

The two statements highlighted do not seem to agree. I think the first statement highlighted is referring to A as initial amplitude (which we can denote ##A_i##) of the traveling waves before there constructive interference to form antinodes with an amplitude 2A and nodes of an amplitude 0. Where I think the second highlighted statement is referring to when A is the resultant amplitude of standing wave which we can denote ##A_f = 2A_i##.

Is my understanding please correct?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
The two statements highlighted do not seem to agree. I think the first statement highlighted is referring to A as initial amplitude (which we can denote ##A_i##) of the traveling waves before there constructive interference to form antinodes with an amplitude 2A and nodes of an amplitude 0. Where I think the second highlighted statement is referring to when A is the resultant amplitude of standing wave which we can denote ##A_f = 2A_i##.

Is my understanding please correct?

Many thanks!
I believe you are right. There is also the very first sentence of that extract, which also says ##\pm A##. I assume A is defined in some preceding text, so both the A references should be 2A.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
I believe you are right. There is also the very first sentence of that extract, which also says ##\pm A##. I assume A is defined in some preceding text, so both the A references should be 2A.
Great, thank you for your help @haruspex!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of analyzing wave amplitudes?

The purpose of analyzing wave amplitudes is to understand the strength or intensity of a wave. This can provide valuable information about the energy and magnitude of a wave, which can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and oceanography.

2. How do you measure wave amplitudes?

Wave amplitudes can be measured by using a variety of instruments such as wave gauges, pressure sensors, or accelerometers. These instruments measure the displacement or pressure of a wave and convert it into a numerical value, which represents the amplitude of the wave.

3. What factors can affect wave amplitudes?

There are several factors that can affect wave amplitudes, including wind speed and direction, water depth, and the shape of the coastline. These factors can influence the size and strength of waves, resulting in variations in wave amplitudes.

4. Can wave amplitudes be used to predict the behavior of waves?

Yes, wave amplitudes can be used to predict the behavior of waves. By analyzing the amplitude of a wave, scientists and engineers can make predictions about the height, speed, and direction of the wave. This information can be crucial for activities such as surfing, shipping, and coastal management.

5. Are there any limitations to analyzing wave amplitudes?

While analyzing wave amplitudes can provide valuable information, there are some limitations to this method. Factors such as wave interference and wave breaking can affect the accuracy of amplitude measurements. Additionally, extreme weather events and unpredictable ocean conditions can make it challenging to accurately analyze wave amplitudes.