1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Agriculturist hoping to become physicist

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1
    Bear with me if am off-tracked and abstract....

I am 23yrs old, graduate of a 4 year degree in agriculture ( GPA-77% ). I was forced to do this degree because of my family situation. The world has darken before me & am extremely unhappy with my profession. I am good in physics and maths and wanted to make a career in physics.

Does a really good score in GRE general and subject test with agriculture degree ( it's purely biology, no maths or physics course in it), opens the door to prestigious physics graduate schools in U.S? or Should I do a physics degree and try my bet? even i do a physics degree there's no possibility for any research in my country as it's one of the most abandoned course and i can't afford a course abroad.

Kindly advice me on this path....

Many thanks..

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Aug 7, 2008 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

If you have never taken a physics course, you are unprepared for graduate study in physics. Particularly at the more difficult schools. Even if accepted into a physics graduate program, you will have to spend significant time - at least two years - catching up.

It will be difficult to get a good score on the subject GRE without having taken classes.

5. Aug 13, 2008 #4
    Thank, for your replies!

Which would be more appealing to a grad school, an undergraduate physics degree obtained through regular college or one that obtained through distant learning (also there are other things too such as GPA, research experience etc to make it appealing ), but in my present situation I have no time to attend a regular college though I can, for it, I've to put my family under pressure.

I don't want to regret again in my life by making any wrong move.

please advice me.....

6. Aug 14, 2008 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Undergraduate physics degree through "distant learning"? How do you propose do complete all those physics labs?

Zz.

7. Aug 14, 2008 #6
    Practical classes can be taken up during weekends from accredited colleges by the university.

8. Aug 14, 2008 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

If you don't have time for taking undergraduate classes, you certainly don't have time for graduate school.

9. Aug 14, 2008 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

So there are accredited universities that you can enroll that just happen to have an agreement with your local accredited universities that allow you to do your lab work at their facility? And all of them have physics programs that are accredited? How lucky can you get?

Zz.

10. Aug 14, 2008 #9
    Sir, i couldn't figure out what you try to mean. Here is my answer to what i understood,
    the education system in my country runs like this, students are entitled to select the major at time of admission to a university. The pure science subjects are three year degree programs, a student who wish his major to be changed in mid-course have no other choice but to discontinue and start his program afresh. There is no flexibility as in US universities starting as one major, finishing it in another major as a student's wish.

And to tell there is no university in my country that offers a major (honours) degree except only one, rest offers general degree ( i.e. for example...B.Sc (physics) includes some credits in physics, few less credits in maths, few credits in chemistry, few credits in english, few credits in local language) the syllabus is compulsory & fixed there's no options extra, these degrees provide breath in knowledge but no depth in particular area. Atleast fine to have a university that provides honours degree, but serves a particular geographical area which is several thousand miles from my dwelling place.

Thankfully the national open university which provides degree programs though distance education have a honours program i.e why i felt a honours degree in physics through distance learning is more valuable than a general physics degree through regular classes from local university. And the lab work for honours program can be taken up in the local university's facility.

I wonder why local university doesn't offer a honour degree? Dunno the reason....

May I ask you what you intend to say......lucky in the sense, quality of learning or acceptance into grad school.

Any recommendation heartly welcome......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?