Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ah-choo! What kind of sneezer are you?

1. Jan 20, 2012 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I'm at home with a cold today. I just had a major sneezing fit and am now sitting here a bit breathless, with my eyes watering, thinking about different kinds of sneezes.

My sneezes are huge and explosive. Usually they're solitary sneezes, sometimes bursts of up to five or six, very occasionally about ten (like just now). When they come in bursts, they're usually about 8-10 seconds apart. Five seconds is really fast for me.

My wife's sneezes are smaller, quicker, and almost always come in rapid-fire bursts of five, about one second apart. It's gotten to be a bit of a joke between us. When she stops at four, I wait a few seconds, then look over at her with a questioning expression on my face, and she rolls her eyes and shrugs.

What other kinds of sneezes are there?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2012 #2
    Is it common to sneeze several times every day? I don't have a cold, I just sneeze. I think that the mucus in my nasal passages irritates the nerve endings and sends a signal to sneeze. They normally come in pairs for me although 5 or 6 at a time can happen. When I have a cold then 10 is about right. I sneeze with my mouth open and direct the force through my mouth in order to prevent too much pressure building up in my nasal passages. This tends to amplify the sound.

4. Jan 20, 2012 #3

Astronuc

I have to issue a strong wind advisory. :biggrin:

Actually use a tissue or paper towel or handkerchief to cover my mouth, or my sleeve if I don't have a tissue or towel.

5. Jan 20, 2012 #4

Dembadon

Gold Member

I hold my sneezes in.

6. Jan 20, 2012 #5

rhody

Gold Member

I feel you and your wife's pain JT, I have a case of shingles, and the night I had the outbreak, I had runny nose, obviously, and then in the course of three hours I must have sneezed at least 200 times. I am not kidding. The explosive type. I was able to circumvent the sneezing, (don't laugh this works) by grabbing my lower lip with my thumb and index finger gently squeezing and shaking it, the longer I squeezed and shook, the longer relief I got between the buildup and release of histamine which caused me to sneeze.

Other people have tried this method, it really works, somehow the brain's autonomic cycle is interrupted, redirected if you will when you do this. I felt stupid after awhile playing lip tag, but I swear it works.

We have one guy in our office who when he sneezes sets off car alarms. Only kidding, but he is loud and will startle you and make you jump.

Rhody... :redface:

7. Jan 20, 2012 #6

rhody

Gold Member

That is not good Dembadon, you will explode :rofl:, my wife does it too, and I laugh :rofl: every time she does.

Rhody...

8. Jan 20, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Usually, I can get over it with a single explosive sneeze. Loud and sharp enough to jump my wife and scare Duke, sometimes, but he's getting used to me. Last night he had a sneezing fit that had my wife in wonder. Several multiple-sneezes in a row, with him shaking his head and running his nose over his bed.

9. Jan 20, 2012 #8

jtbell

When I try to do that, it comes out the other end. :yuck:

10. Jan 20, 2012 #9

rhody

Gold Member

I was thinking that JT, but I am glad you said it, in the end (pun intended), hehe...

Rhody...

11. Jan 20, 2012 #10

drizzle

Gold Member

I can never hold it.

12. Jan 20, 2012 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I'm glad Duke didn't hold in his sneezing fit last night. Sneezes don't smell bad.

13. Jan 20, 2012 #12
    I try and do this
    When I sneeze it feels like I'm ripping my vocal chords out and it hurts for a good 5/10 minutes after..
    It never use to be like that, I have no idea what happened in the past 2 years lol

14. Jan 20, 2012 #13
    some girls sneeze like little puppies :!!)

15. Jan 20, 2012 #14

turbo

Gold Member

My cousin's daughter does this. She is a tiny little thing that gets carded everywhere she goes. 30+ years old and can't buy a drink without an ID. If she had to sneeze, it would come out like "shoo".

16. Jan 21, 2012 #15

Borek

Single, sometimes double. Very rarely more. Sometimes strong enough to rupture something in my chest. I was told by a doc once that it is not unheard of - violent sneeze can end with a pneumothorax :bugeye:

17. Jan 21, 2012 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have two types of sneezes. There are the random ones that don't have any apparent cause. They're small and usually single or double, and I can silence them pretty well. Then there are the ones from something obvious that irritated my nose...dust, smoke, strong perfume, etc. Those are the big ones that can't be silenced and come in bursts of 3 or 4.

18. Jan 21, 2012 #17

Dembadon

Gold Member

I've seen pictures of what comes out of someone's mouth when they sneeze. :yuck:

19. Jan 21, 2012 #18
    1) I don't recommend holding in a sneeze. It's dangerous.

2) As far as sneezing, three should be the limit, one right after the other.
    To get around this limit, sneeze twice, and then force yourself to wait at
    least one minute before sneezing twice again.

(This works on the same principle as a group of 14 people going to a
    restaurant and having 2 sets of 7 people sitting at different parts of
    the restaurant so that the members of the group are not charged a
    forced percent "gratuity" on 8 or more people in one party.

3) I will deliberately look up at the Sun to help me sneeze.

4) Has anyone experienced simultaneous sneezing, burping, hiccupping,
    coughing, and passing gas?

5) Have you (or someone you know) ever mistaken a sneeze for a
    cough, or the other way around?

6) Should an Atheist be annoyed if someone says "Bless you" or
    "God bless you" to him or her?

7) A person might fake a sneeze to see if someone they're interested
    in would say something back to them.

20. Jan 21, 2012 #19

Dembadon

Gold Member

How dangerous?

21. Jan 21, 2012 #20

Borek

Check it again, as it doesn't make sense.

Holding is dangerous, but it should be done to not sneeze more that twice?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook