What Were the Early Days of PF Like for Members in the Twenty-Year+ Club?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: In fact, I tried to start a company very much like Amazon, at about the same time Bezos started Amazon. I called it Factory Indirect.I remember that! I remember when you mentioned it on the forum, I thought you were joking. But then I did some more digging and it seemed like it might be possible.I also remember getting an invitation in 2001 to join PF. But I was posting in some other forum then.I joined in 2002. Wow, it has been a while.In summary, many people have been PF members for 20 years or more.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How many people have been PF members for 20 years or more?

It occurred to me that I joined PF 20 years ago right about now. I remember that a short time later, Greg had to do some kind of reset with the software which reset my join date to April 2003, but it was actually a bit before that. It is hard to fathom that it has been 20 years!!! Wow.

The internet as we know it was just coming into being back then. I can still remember making my first posts, and having responses from people in five or six different countries in only a matter of an hour or so. It was a new and exciting experience. I had been posting on message boards but PF was the first truly global forum I had visited.

What a wild ride it has been since then!

Likes scottdave, Drakkith, atyy and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
The internet as we know it was just coming into being back then [2003].
Oh c'mon. I was using the internet (email, newsgroups, websites, etc) back in the mid-1990's. :oldsmile:

Likes phinds, russ_watters, anorlunda and 1 other person
I'm in the club!

• Haha
  • Skeptical
Likes OmCheeto, russ_watters, Borg and 5 others
18 years for me. Still a newbie I guess. :sorry:

• Haha
Likes anorlunda, Ivan Seeking and Greg Bernhardt
19 years next week...., not quite an old guy, but getting to gray bearded status.

Likes Astronuc, Ivan Seeking, anorlunda and 1 other person
strangerep said:
Oh c'mon. I was using the internet (email, newsgroups, websites, etc) back in the mid-1990's. :oldsmile:
I don't remember exactly when I first got online but it was certainly by the mid 90s. In fact, I tried to start a company very much like Amazon, at about the same time Bezos started Amazon. I called it Factory Indirect. I made deals with local retail outlets to sell their products online. Because they didn't have to carry this inventory it could be sold much cheaper. We could drop ship directly from the factory. And it wouldn't interfere with their local foot traffic. The odds were that no one local would even see it online. They thought it was great and agreed to try it. But I was living in a rural area and could not get a solid internet connection to save my soul. Also, the internet was very young and people weren't really shopping online much. After months of frustration, I finally gave it up. Whoops!

• Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu
I also remember getting an invitation in 2001 to join PF. But I was posting in some other forum then.

strangerep said:
Late 80s or early 90s for me... I can remember that I had an account on Compuserve about 1990 back in the days when modems made a lot of beeps and peeps.

Likes scottdave and Ivan Seeking
It will be 20 years for me, too, in 2023. I am member 1064, or 10 to the power of 3 plus 4 to the power of 3. If we extend 1000 to 1064 (so I am included), there are no more than 10 active members from the first 210 + 25 + 23(logging in here from 01.01.2021 until today).

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Ivan Seeking, atyy and 1 other person
strangerep said:
Did you ever use Gopher? When I helped set up my college's first internet server in 1993 or 1994, the first three services we offered were email, Usenet and Gopher (a predecessor to the WWW, with a text-based interface). A Web server followed in 1996.

Likes Ivan Seeking, atyy and anorlunda
jtbell said:
Did you ever use Gopher?
I think I did, at the college where I worked, although it's been going on 30 years. There was also an email or listserv app (IIRC) called PINE. These apps ran on the college's minicomputer that was used for registration and grades and such, but we could remote into that system. Soon after we had internet access via Netscape that we could run directly from our office PCs.
jtbell said:
When I helped set up my college's first internet server in 1993 or 1994, the first three services we offered were email, Usenet and Gopher (a predecessor to the WWW, with a text-based interface). A Web server followed in 1996.
In about 1995 I was part of a group of about four instructors who put together online materials for a precalculus class. My involvement was writing 8 or 10 Java applets that were intended to help students visualize certain maximization or minimization problems, such as designing a kite frame by cutting a fixed length of carbon fiber rod in such a way that the area was maximized. The student would enter the position of the cut, and the applet would draw the kite and calculate the kite's area.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Ivan Seeking

is such a soothing sound.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970, Wrichik Basu and Ivan Seeking
StevieTNZ said:

You sure know how to make a man feel old. :oldgrumpy:

Mark44 said:
There was also an email or listserv app (IIRC) called PINE.
Pine was our most common email app, when everybody had to use text-only terminals in the computer labs, or terminal emulators on Macs and PCs. I used it well into the 2000s on my Macs, via the MacOS Terminal app which provides a Unix-like command line interface and access to Unix tools. I don't remember when I finally switched to using Gmail's web interface for good. Must have been after 2010.

Likes Ivan Seeking
I do know about when I first got online - 1991. I was sooooooooo excited because I was able to download the first photo of Jupiter taken by the Hubble right after it was taken. I was able to download the file from the University of Oregon, which was a long-distance phone call. IIRC, it took 4 or 5 hours to download and cost something like $50 for the phone call.

en-from-hubble-space-telescope_a-L-5287441-4990704.jpg

• Wow
  • Love
Likes mfb, Wrichik Basu, DrClaude and 4 others
jtbell said:
Did you ever use Gopher?
I kinda jumped straight from email+Usenet direct to Netscape.

Likes dlgoff
Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm in the club!
Greg, when did it first occur to you that PF might be around for decades? IIRC this was a high school project.

Has anyone heard from Monique in recent years?

It'll be 18 years for me in April.

Concerning the web...
I remember using NCSA Mosaic and Netscape (which was much better than Gopher),
and, if I recall correctly, they had a version battle as they worked their way to a 1.0 release.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_web_browser#Early_1990s:_world_wide_web has an interesting timeline of web-browsers.

Back then, I remember reading about the forthcoming influx of users from AOL (some comments expressing dread) and how the web will change after that.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
robphy said:
Back then, I remember reading about the forthcoming influx of users from AOL (some comments expressing dread) and how the web will change after that.
And what a change!

The end of wobbly computer desks and tables forever!

1675187862763.png

• Haha
Likes BillTre, anorlunda and robphy
Ivan Seeking said:
I also remember getting an invitation in 2001 to join PF. But I was posting in some other forum then.
According to your profile, you joined PF on Apr 30, 2003. You are member 689.

For, it will be 19 years later this year in September. PF was recommended by an inactive member, Orstio who was owner/admin or EverythingScience. He mentioned that PF had a homework forum and discussed physics, math and engineering at a fairly high level. I met Orstio and another ES member Yales at an early forum called NuclearSpace.com. I was one of the few participants with degrees in nuclear engineering and experience with nuclear power applications in space.

DaveC426913 said:
And what a change!

The end of wobbly computer desks and tables forever!

View attachment 321495
I actually started making a collection of those AOL CDs. I asked neighbors to save them for me. My goal was to have enough to replace the shingles on my roof, making a reflective roof that would be notorious to every pilot in the area.

Alas, I never got enough for a roof, but I did have one or two thousand.

• Wow
Likes DaveC426913 and berkeman
StevieTNZ said:

Ha ha! Not heard that in a while!

Likes anorlunda
pinball1970 said:
Ha ha! Not heard that in a while!
You're even older if you remember this sound.

• Informative
Likes gleem and pinball1970
anorlunda said:

I got a really bad electric shock from one of those back in the day.

• Wow
Likes berkeman and anorlunda
Astronuc said:
According to your profile, you joined PF on Apr 30, 2003. You are member 689
Yes, I explained that and Greg mentions the software issue in the history of the site. I had actually joined earlier but my join date was reset later [in April] due to a software issue.

anorlunda said:
I'm that old. I used one in Grade 6 (before 1970). We were learning BASIC language and used the teletype to communicate with a timeshare on a mainframe somewhere.

Likes anorlunda
Then there are some of us who are Fred Flintstone contemporaries who started with this sound.

Likes gleem and Bystander
anorlunda said:
Then there are some of us who are Fred Flintstone contemporaries who started with this sound.

Yup. I have one of those to thank for ending up in software dev.

We didn't have one in our school in 1979. We had to hand our punch card decks in to the teacher, who would deliver them en masse to the university downtown. And only dropped the stacks occasionally....

Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
I used punch cards during my first years at university in mid-1970s. Then punch cards got replaced when electronic terminals were introduced, I think around 1976-1977. I had used punch cards during summer school in high school, and also tape.

strangerep said:
I kinda jumped straight from email+Usenet direct to Netscape.
Yes me too. The problem with the "when were you online?" question is in the definition of online. Does it count when I was sending text emails from a mainframe terminal at my first real job with a DOD contractor to someone just like me? I don't think so, at least by current standards.

I guess I think "online" means a web browser that can search remote sites. For me that was Spry-Mosaic with Compuserve and an acoustic modem sometime in the early 1980's. It was awful.

Punch cards, teletype terminals, programming uP in assembly language, too -- all awful; barely functional. Waiting 10 hours to find out you made a syntax error and can't try again until tonight; getting kicked out of the HS classroom with the only available TTY terminal because your "graphics" output makes too much noise; ironing the punch tape with the only copy of your program that got crushed... -- awful.

There's no CNTRL-F to find the cards to replace in the stack. That's why Basic and Fortran had line numbers, a GOTO 220 command made a lot more sense in that environment. -- awful.

Anyway, kind of off-topic now. This does explain why I became an analog EE though.

Likes Astronuc, scottdave, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
DaveC426913 said:
And only dropped the stacks occasionally....
I still remember riding my bicycle to the computer center at UC Davis back in the late 1970s with a box of punch cards in the rack on the back of my bike to submit my latest FORTRAN programming class job to the mainframe. "Please don't crash, please don't crash..." (Yes, the campus was crowded enough with bikes that low-speed collisions and tip-overs were not uncommon)

Likes Astronuc, Wrichik Basu and dlgoff
DaveC426913 said:
And only dropped the stacks occasionally
I had an EE course where the instructor gave you a deck of cards that were intentionally out of order and we had to figure out what the program did.

Somewhere I have a blank card in a book but haven't found it. Will look for it more later.

• Wow
Likes berkeman