Ailing 'Dilbert' cartoonist talks again

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a man named Adams who has largely recovered from Spasmodic Dysphonia, a mysterious disease that affects speech. Although many Americans are afflicted with this disease, Adams is unique in that he can still speak under certain circumstances. The conversation then shifts to the topic of caring for elderly individuals with dementia, as the speaker shares a personal experience with a neighbor who suffered from dementia. The speaker emphasizes the importance of having a supportive spouse who is willing to care for a loved one in their time of need.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Wow, I did not know he had this.

"Adams, 49, appears to be a rare example of someone who has largely — but not totally — recovered from Spasmodic Dysphonia, a mysterious disease in which parts of the brain controlling speech shut down or go haywire. As many as 30,000 Americans are afflicted, typically in their 40s and 50s, experts say.

One of the most peculiar aspects of SD is that victims are typically unable to have intimate conversations in their normal voice. Yet they can speak under different circumstances, such as immediately after sneezing or laughing, or in an exaggerated falsetto or baritone, or while reciting poetry, according to SD support groups."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061028/ap_on_en_ot/dilbert_cartoonist

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bummer. :frown:

I used to drive an elderly neighbor to church on Sunday. It gave his wife a chance to relax for a few hours. I don't know if he had Alzheimer's disease, but he gradually developed a type of dementia. He got to the point where most of his comments were about WWII and the 1930's. He could recognize me, so I had to keep a watch on him, otherwise he got lost.

When he would talk, his voice would rise, almost like singing, and sometimes like crying. He deteriorated rapidly the last few months, and what I didn't realize was that he was becoming increasingly belligerent to his wife. He ended up being shuffled between hospital and a nursing home during the last two months.

This is one of the reasons to find a good spouse, someone who is willing to care for you when you can't care for yourself.

I find the story of Scott Adams' recovery from Spasmodic Dysphonia to be both fascinating and inspiring. This condition, which affects thousands of Americans, is still not fully understood and can be incredibly debilitating for those who suffer from it. The fact that Adams has been able to largely regain his ability to speak is a testament to his resilience and the potential for recovery from this mysterious disease.

It is also interesting to note the peculiarities of SD, such as the ability to speak under certain circumstances like sneezing or laughing, or in a different voice. This highlights the complexity of the brain and how different areas can be affected by this condition. It also shows that there is still much to be learned about SD and how it can be treated.

I hope that Adams' story will bring more attention and research to this condition, and ultimately lead to a better understanding and treatment for those who suffer from it. It is a reminder that even in the face of challenges and setbacks, the human body and mind have incredible resilience and potential for recovery.

What caused the "Ailing 'Dilbert' cartoonist" to lose his ability to speak?

The "Ailing 'Dilbert' cartoonist" lost his ability to speak due to a rare condition called spasmodic dysphonia, which affects the muscles in the throat and causes involuntary movements and spasms that disrupt speech.

How long was the "Ailing 'Dilbert' cartoonist" unable to speak?

The "Ailing 'Dilbert' cartoonist" was unable to speak for nearly 18 years due to his condition.

What treatment did the "Ailing 'Dilbert' cartoonist" receive to regain his ability to speak?

The "Ailing 'Dilbert' cartoonist" received Botox injections in his vocal cords, which helped to relax the muscles and reduce the spasms, allowing him to speak again.

Will the "Ailing 'Dilbert' cartoonist" be able to continue creating the "Dilbert" comic strip?

Yes, the "Ailing 'Dilbert' cartoonist" has stated that he plans to continue creating the "Dilbert" comic strip and has even resumed doing live performances and interviews.

What has the "Ailing 'Dilbert' cartoonist" said about his experience with spasmodic dysphonia?

The "Ailing 'Dilbert' cartoonist" has said that his condition has been a challenging and frustrating experience, but he is grateful for the support and understanding of his readers and fans.

Back