Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ailing 'Dilbert' cartoonist talks again

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wow, I did not know he had this.

"Adams, 49, appears to be a rare example of someone who has largely — but not totally — recovered from Spasmodic Dysphonia, a mysterious disease in which parts of the brain controlling speech shut down or go haywire. As many as 30,000 Americans are afflicted, typically in their 40s and 50s, experts say.

One of the most peculiar aspects of SD is that victims are typically unable to have intimate conversations in their normal voice. Yet they can speak under different circumstances, such as immediately after sneezing or laughing, or in an exaggerated falsetto or baritone, or while reciting poetry, according to SD support groups."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061028/ap_on_en_ot/dilbert_cartoonist

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Bummer. :frown:

I used to drive an elderly neighbor to church on Sunday. It gave his wife a chance to relax for a few hours. I don't know if he had Alzheimer's disease, but he gradually developed a type of dementia. He got to the point where most of his comments were about WWII and the 1930's. He could recognize me, so I had to keep a watch on him, otherwise he got lost.

When he would talk, his voice would rise, almost like singing, and sometimes like crying. He deteriorated rapidly the last few months, and what I didn't realize was that he was becoming increasingly belligerent to his wife. He ended up being shuffled between hospital and a nursing home during the last two months.

This is one of the reasons to find a good spouse, someone who is willing to care for you when you can't care for yourself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?