Al(OH)3 as an electrolyte. What does it produce?

• Thread starter gabede
  • Start date
In summary: Deliberate, electrolytic thickening of the oxide layer: 2Al (s) + 3H 2 O (l) ! Al 2 O 3(s) + 6H + (aq) + 6e']
gabede
I am running a dc current through a solution of Aluminum Hydroxide and I see a solid precipitating from the negative terminal, and bubbles coming from both terminals. Also, the positive terminal is corroding with little tiny holes in it. What is the solid being produced, and what is happening to the positive terminal. I know that the bubbles are hydrogen at the negative terminal, and oxygen at the positive terminal. I suspect that the solid is Aluminum Oxide, but I cannot find much proof through research.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
gabede said:
I am running a dc current through a solution of Aluminum Hydroxide and I see a solid precipitating from the negative terminal, and bubbles coming from both terminals. Also, the positive terminal is corroding with little tiny holes in it. What is the solid being produced, and what is happening to the positive terminal. I know that the bubbles are hydrogen at the negative terminal, and oxygen at the positive terminal. I suspect that the solid is Aluminum Oxide, but I cannot find much proof through research.

Do you use dissimilar electrode? What electrodes are you using?
Probably yes, its AlO2. Reaction could be this Al(OH)3→H+1/2O2+AlO2

Ronie Bayron said:
Do you use dissimilar electrode? What electrodes are you using?
Probably yes, its AlO2. Reaction could be this Al(OH)3→H+1/2O2+AlO2
Are you sure about that form for aluminum oxide? It's common, stable form is Al2O3.

Likes Ronie Bayron
I used two aluminum electrodes.

Redbelly98 said:
Are you sure about that form for aluminum oxide? It's common, stable form is Al2O3.
Yes, my bad. That could also be the case. I think you are right about it.
It's called Anodization of aluminium (page 5 of 11)

Last edited by a moderator:
gabede said:
I used two aluminum electrodes.
Read through here: http://people.uleth.ca/~roussel/C1000/slides/12group13metals.pdf

1. What is the chemical formula for Al(OH)3 as an electrolyte?

The chemical formula for Al(OH)3 as an electrolyte is aluminum hydroxide.

2. Is Al(OH)3 a strong or weak electrolyte?

Al(OH)3 is considered a weak electrolyte because it only partially dissociates in water.

3. What ions does Al(OH)3 produce in solution?

Al(OH)3 produces aluminum (Al3+) and hydroxide (OH-) ions in solution.

4. How does Al(OH)3 behave as an electrolyte in a solution?

Al(OH)3 behaves as an electrolyte by conducting electricity through the movement of its ions in solution.

5. What are the common uses of Al(OH)3 as an electrolyte?

Al(OH)3 is commonly used as an electrolyte in batteries, antacids, and water treatment processes.